Wild Horse Butte Milky Way

BasilFawlty

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I didn't see a forum specifically for astro-photography or night sky photography. I guess this qualifies as landscape. This is Wild Horse Butte near the entrance to Goblin Valley State Park in Utah. I was there camping and photographing this past week and took this image of the Milky Way. This was shot with Canon 5D Mark IV at 14mm, f2.8, ISO 3200. This is the result of 22 images please a dark frame to reduce sky noise.

Goblin-small2-3 copy.jpeg

Absolutely lush sky.

Gorgeous! You did a great job. It must have been magical out there. :586:

Gorgeous! You did a great job. It must have been magical out there. :586:
Thanks - truth be told it was kinda spooky. You can't tell by the long exposure picture, but it was so dark (no moon) that I could not see my hand in front of my face. I kept wondering what critters were watching me from the bushes LOL! :eek:

Very nicely done.

I went up to Moonscape Overlook near Hanksville last May to shoot the milky way. I got that spooky feeling too, especially being so close to the edge of the cliff. But I did not come back with anything as nice as what you are showing.

Thanks - truth be told it was kinda spooky. You can't tell by the long exposure picture, but it was so dark (no moon) that I could not see my hand in front of my face. I kept wondering what critters were watching me from the bushes LOL! :eek:
Beautiful shot and location! No we don’t have an astrophotography forum although I’ve asked a few times :) I use landscape or general gallery mostly.

It can be super spooky out there in the dark. I usually go with a group of 2-4 others so at least 3 of us and even then we’ve freaked ourselves out a few times - especially in the mountains where the bears are! I won’t shoot up there at night this time of year when they’re out foraging.

Very nicely done.

I went up to Moonscape Overlook near Hanksville last May to shoot the milky way. I got that spooky feeling too, especially being so close to the edge of the cliff. But I did not come back with anything as nice as what you are showing.
Wow, I was unaware of that place! What direction are you looking when you look out over that lookout? (from some of the sunrise pictures I found when I searched for it I'd guess east-northeast?

Beautiful shot and location! No we don’t have an astrophotography forum although I’ve asked a few times :) I use landscape or general gallery mostly.

It can be super spooky out there in the dark. I usually go with a group of 2-4 others so at least 3 of us and even then we’ve freaked ourselves out a few times - especially in the mountains where the bears are! I won’t shoot up there at night this time of year when they’re out foraging.
Thank you! I got my camera all set up before dark. I hooked up an intervalometer to shoot 25 shots at 25 seconds each so that, once I triggered the camera via the intervalometer, I would scurry back to my car and sit and wait for it to finish. In this location I was most concerned about Coyotes and Bobcats - in that kind of darkness, you can't see them but they can see you 😱

Awesome picture, good job! Scary to think it was so dark the Moth Man could've been sitting up there on a ledge, looking down at you. :nightmare:

It's very nicely done. Magical.
Thanks very much
Awesome picture, good job! Scary to think it was so dark the Moth Man could've been sitting up there on a ledge, looking down at you. :nightmare:
Thanks - I'm pretty sure that Moth Man was crouched behind a bush nearby 😱

Wow, I was unaware of that place! What direction are you looking when you look out over that lookout? (from some of the sunrise pictures I found when I searched for it I'd guess east-northeast?
ENE sounds about right. Other folks I met were heading up for sunrise photos.

ENE sounds about right. Other folks I met were heading up for sunrise photos.
What was the view the other direction south southwest? If similar it would make a great Milky Way shot.

Most reactions

Back