Wildlife, finally!

Digital Matt

alter ego: Analog Matt
Reaction score
Website
www.mattperko.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I finally saw some deer last night. I've been wanting to take some photos like this for so long. I wasn't expecting to see any, and I was caught off guard with my 85 1.8 on the cam. Had to make a quick change to the 70-200 f/4 + 1.4x TC. I managed to get a decent shot of this young buck, in the warm glow of a sunset.

deer2.jpg

This encounter made me realize that I really need a long prime, like a 300 2.8, and even then, that's just barely minimum focal length for true wildlife. They don't let ya get very close! :p

Geez...is there anything that you don't photograph well? This is a great shot, the lighting does have that nice warm glow.

So what were you shooting, out in the woods with an 85mm lens?

Thanks Mike :)

Hehe, well, I was hoping to get to this field of wildflowers, and shoot some macros with my 85 and extension tubes. I was walking briskly through the woods, not paying attention, with sticks breaking and leaves rustling beneath my feet. I stopped for a second, to adjust my backpack, and I still heard twigs breaking and leaves rustling. Then I noticed the a strong smell of musk, and I looked up to see this guy, and 4 others, about 30 yards away. Had to switch lenses rather quickly and quietly. :p

Turns out the wildflowers hadn't come up yet anyway. I'm getting ancy here, waiting for Spring to finally spring.

Beauty! :thumbup:

Lovely. Lovely. Lovely.
The colour is more than precious!
How I wish I could take such kind of wildlife photo for once in my life. No matter how silent I go about things - they always run away from me.

If you're gonna shoot a deer, this is the best way to do it :)

I love the colors and tones in this, you always manage to capture the perfect colors for everything really :) I also enjoy him starring you down. All the branches give a nice secluded feel to it. The only thing I'm not sure about is the frame...it definitely matches the shot, but I personally like the other frames you've created in the past. Great capture and timing! I can't wait til the flowers come either so that we get to see more of your shots :)

For having to compose in such an off-the-cuff manner, you ended up with great composition here, Matt. Love the way the branches are framing him, almost repeatedly in a subtle kind of way. What's great is you were able to get a clear view of his face, and he's looking right at you. :thumbup:

Great job. :)

Gorgeous. The coloring is wonderful, and the composition a delight.

Fantastic work.

damn it matt, you must have some crap photos youve taken somewhere!

Can't you post them so i can feel better about myself ;)

Aww, thanks everyone. Believe me, I have tons of crap photos. For every good one, there are several bad ones. I actually have probably 15 similar to this, which are in varying degress of unsharpness, and poor composition due to branches in the face.

I cropped the left of this as well, because of the big tree trunk. It worked out well though, because this is an 8x10 now.

Thanks again everyone! I have some more shots from this trip coming.

Most reactions

Back