Wildlife lens options?

I have spoken with one photographer that rented the Tamron (maybe purchased and returned) and now owns the Sigma Sport. He did not speak on image quality, but he did say the Sigma focused faster.

Thanks Darrel and JacaRanda.

I checked out the Canon mount version of the contemporary lens today. First thing, I liked the shutter sound of the t5i, and it's focusing squares were fun. Hah.

Anyways, the stabilization didn't seem too great. The lens itself was awesome though, felt great, shots were nice and sharp. I mainly came in to feel the weight, the overall lens, and to see the size in person.

They use the standard sigma case, which is nice, but the case takes up so much space compared to the lens. It would be nice if there was a form factor style of case for it, since fitting it in a backpack would be fine without the standard case.

I might order it tonight. They have nine coming in, one is already purchased by someone, so I could get one of those first nine. I'm just thinking things over a little more, primarily how much I'll use it given how much I regretfully neglected my 70-300.

I read an interview yesterday at KeepSnap. Photographer from United States( Ivan Nava) said that he enjoys Nikon D800E Bodies. And he actually said that he use some mostly prime lenses. You can read it right here Interviewing Ivan Nava Making People Happy with Your Images Blog for photographers KeepSnap . Now I just need some comments about it.Does anybody know if they are really so good or no?

You should be creating your own thread in a different section, right here: Photography Beginners Forum Photography Forum

To answer your question about prime lenses: Prime lenses tend to be superior at doing the one job they are designed to do. This isn't always true, but it's a good way of looking at things. So, the Nikon 200mm f/2 prime lens, for example, will perform much better than the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 zoom lens, if you're comparing the two at 200mm. For the purposes of learning, prime lenses can help you learn to move your body rather than zoom your lens. In all honesty though, it comes down to your style and your preference.
///////-------\\\\\\\------///////
Anyways, I took that opportunity to make a self-serving update: No clue if I'm getting the 150-600 Contemporary yet. I've slept on it each night thinking I'll order it in the morning, and then I wake up not so sure. The two qualms I have are the price-tag, and whether or not I'm really going to get significant use out of the lens (three amazing times out each year might not amount to enough, but I would hope to take it out at least once every 1-2 weeks).

Oh thank you so much for your answer! I'm so sorry about this question but anyway I will know what to do in the future :) just ask about it cus you know there is so much intrviews that I read yesterday.Well you actually can see this information( Interviews Blog for photographers KeepSnap ) and you will understand me. I just should know something about that products so thank you again

By the way, I don't think that Sigma has actually released the Nikon mount 150-600 contemporary lenses. They're taking pre-orders, but nobody actually knows when they'll ship. I think they're out in Japan (though there are rumors that those are simply review units that have been returned). And I do know a guy who simply ordered the Canon version and then had Sigma do the mount conversion.

Also, generally from what I've heard from people who've tried both (for Canon), the primary difference between the sport and contemporary versions is that the sport is higher build quality, weather sealed and focuses faster (better in lens mechanics). Optically though they're said to be virtually indistinguishable.

Like the OP, I'll probably buy this lens as soon as it's released. To me it and the Tamron are neck and neck, but on a lens that has such large focal point range, the sigma fine tune dock is the game changer for me.

I really like the new sigma global vision line. Got the 18-35 f/1.8 Art, working on a lightly used version of the 120-300 f/2.8 sport and I'll be picking up the 150-600 contemporary when it's released for Nikon mount.

Last edited:
By the way, I don't think that Sigma has actually released the Nikon mount 150-600 contemporary lenses. They're taking pre-orders, but nobody actually knows when they'll ship. I think they're out in Japan (though there are rumors that those are simply review units that have been returned). And I do know a guy who simply ordered the Canon version and then had Sigma do the mount conversion.

Also, generally from what I've heard from people who've tried both (for Canon), the primary difference between the sport and contemporary versions is that the sport is higher build quality, weather sealed and focuses faster (better in lens mechanics). Optically though they're said to be virtually indistinguishable.

Like the OP, I'll probably buy this lens as soon as it's released. To me it and the Tamron are neck and neck, but on a lens that has such large focal point range, the sigma fine tune dock is the game changer for me.

I really like the new sigma global vision line. Got the 18-35 f/1.8 Art, working on a lightly used version of the 120-300 f/2.8 sport and I'll be picking up the 150-600 contemporary when it's released for Nikon mount.

Thanks for that information. Very helpful. It does seem their ETA has changed to later in this month, whereas it was "any time" last I checked. They still have 9 on their way though... but who knows where Sigma is with shipping them to the store.

I do think that the Sport has an edge on sharpness at 600mm that is slightly noticeable, but... that might just be because the majority of people showing off the Sport lens knows their stuff, resulting in less bad pictures popping up around that lens. The graphs show a slight edge, but it's very minimal.

I am jealous of your 120-300 f2.8, very nice! It must serve as a fairly good wildlife lens at 300mm anyways?

I may or may not get the 150-600 Contemporary within this month (on the first order arrival). I haven't put in an order, but I'm receiving a graduation present from University and I listed off two different things (an Apple Retina 13" computer, and this lens). I will be getting one of them from my parents. And then I'll have to convince the girlfriend (the unofficial bank of me overseer), if I don't get the 150-600 Contemporary, that it's worth my money.

Thanks for that information. Very helpful. It does seem their ETA has changed to later in this month, whereas it was "any time" last I checked. They still have 9 on their way though... but who knows where Sigma is with shipping them to the store.

I do think that the Sport has an edge on sharpness at 600mm that is slightly noticeable, but... that might just be because the majority of people showing off the Sport lens knows their stuff, resulting in less bad pictures popping up around that lens. The graphs show a slight edge, but it's very minimal.

I am jealous of your 120-300 f2.8, very nice! It must serve as a fairly good wildlife lens at 300mm anyways?

I may or may not get the 150-600 Contemporary within this month (on the first order arrival). I haven't put in an order, but I'm receiving a graduation present from University and I listed off two different things (an Apple Retina 13" computer, and this lens). I will be getting one of them from my parents. And then I'll have to convince the girlfriend (the unofficial bank of me overseer), if I don't get the 150-600 Contemporary, that it's worth my money.
Still negotiating a trade for the 120-300 so I don't have it yet.

edit: Got the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary today. :)

Last edited:
edit: Got the Sigma 150-600 Contemporary today. :)

A quick review, please! ;)

Will do :)

I will make a new thread if I get enough shots in for a more thorough review in the next few days.

My initial impressions: Everything is about what I expected, after viewing through all the reviews. The vibration control is quite good, I got an ultra sharp face shot at 1/40 at 600mm. Outdoors, taking shots of crows (because I haven't had the time to head out of the back yard yet), the lens doesn't perform as well at 1/40 at 600mm as it seems to indoors. Nevertheless, it's pretty nice.

I think the sweet-spot for this lens at 600mm is f9.

Overall, I would say the lens is great, but it hasn't blown me away. The only other lens I can compare it to is the Nikon 70-300 VR, and it definitely performs better. I didn't have the chance to compare it side-by-side with the 70-300 VR (I just sold the 70-300), but I would say at 600mm the Sigma outperforms the Nikon at 300mm by a margin of 30-40%... not a staggering amount, but enough that it matters, plus that is twice the reach. I bet if I sat down to carefully compare, the difference might even be more evident. I noticed when I shot at ISO 1000 and up on the 70-300 VR, sharpening was very difficult... whereas with the 150-600 Sigma, at ISO 1600 I can still sharpen things up and get some good results.

Here are some initial (back yard) shots (all cropped quite a bit & reduced in size for the upload, all with vibration control on, lens is uncalibrated but I think it doesn't need calibration):

600mm, ISO 1600, f/8, 1/1600 sec
DSC_0104.jpg

400mm, ISO 800, f/7.1, 1/125 sec
DSC_0059.jpg

600mm, ISO 1000, f/9, 1/1000 sec
DSC_0143.jpg

600mm, ISO 1600, f/8, 1/1600 sec
DSC_0103.jpg

Last edited:
Well I guess I'm a backyard nature photographer today again. I stepped out for a few minutes, before I have to head out.

I'm planning on going hiking up on a mountain, or I'll be going down to the beach where the eagles always are again... one of the two... in the coming days. Then I'll post a thread with my initial thoughts on the lens, given a real day with it.

Here is another example, though. I chose a shot that didn't turn out perfect. This is at 600mm, f7.1, ISO 1000, and 1/1250. I was shaking the lens around and lost focus slightly, and yet I was still able to crop in to 1/8th of the frame (toward the corner, not the center) and sharpen up for a usable image. Focus was off very very slightly, and I was shaking around the lens like a hose with a drip. Just a simple fast edit in LR:

DSC_0018.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back