Wildlife Photography Predator Baits

TexasAggie07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Howdy guys,

The ranch I manage is just starting to get set-up for wildlife photography and I was hoping to get a few ideas. I think we have great set-ups for songbirds already but am lacking on ideas for predator baits... We have our blinds set in the best picturesque locations but I am drawing a blank on how to draw in the predators and birds of prey. Animal carcasses get messy and eventually turn your picturesque scene into a boneyard and I can't seem to find any alternative besides buying grocery store meat. They sell alot of lures and baits online but without a meal at the end of the tunnel I think that would only be a short term solution. I thought about frozen deer entrails from all of our hunters could work but that season has passed and if there is an easier solution than ruining a deep freeze with that I am all ears :D!

Thankful for any ideas you can throw my way!

Thanks and Gig em!

Brian

Use predator calls and prey decoys. I've used a simple rabbit in distress call, similar in design to a duck call,to bring in coyote, bobcat and cougar very close. They make electronic calls that work well. A key point is to have a blind that can be moved and not over use the calls. Once again I have to suggest on reading up in bowhunting mags or forums on how to get close to critters. If you decide to put baits at the calling site, you could do that with a camolfauged bait bucket or tub so it does not show up in photos yet will keep the site clean.

Here's a link to the page on Cabelas for predator calls and accessories. Cabela's: Predator Calls & Miscellaneous

Most reactions

Back