Wildlife Photos - Lack Of Mammal Love?

National parks and monuments, where hunting isn't allowed, are easier places to see wildlife. The animals don't seem as concerned with people as on National forest land. It's actually really easy to see animals in Yellowstone . Just drive along till you are in a traffic jam and there will be people acting crazy about seeing elk or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posting up critters all the time...

377428872.jpg

Simplybarb, you're brave to go to Algonquin this weekend! And no, I'm not sure winter will ever end.

Simplybarb, you're brave to go to Algonquin this weekend! And no, I'm not sure winter will ever end.

Easier to catch sight of the wolves in winter. I've only seen them once, a pack walking across a small frozen pond ... to far away with the lens I had (and it was snowing so vis was low.

I went a year ago February. In a snowstorm, in a sunfire, with summer tires, and bad brakes. Pfft, this trip will be easy. :D

Easier to catch sight of the wolves in winter. I've only seen them once, a pack walking across a small frozen pond ... to far away with the lens I had (and it was snowing so vis was low.

Wolves are certainly elusive. I see their tracks all the time, and sometimes their kills, but rarely actually see the wolves.

Remember when shooting bears it's important to stay safe. Many recommend wearing bells and carrying mace to avoid being attacked by bears. Also know the signs as to what bears are in the area. Black bears have large, dark colored scat the often contains berries. Grizzly bears have even larger scat, that usually contains bells and smells like pepper spray.

Just noticed that there always seems to be a plethora of bird shots. But rarely ever do I see many posting pics of mammals (deer, puma, bear, etc) outside of zoo shots. Is it just more of a convenience issue? Being that you can generally get birds in your own back yard on almost any given day.
I have really been contemplating moving on from the birds for a while and going after bigger game. I'm lucky that I live in an area where I can encounter a lot of different things, like coyotes, bears, deer, fox, bobcat, wild sheep, mountain lion, even a rare chance at river otter or wolverines. Does anyone else here occasionally go after some of these things?

Pursuing birds for the most part much easier than trying to capture other wildlife, 30 years ago had I been more inclined to capture them on film rather than reduce them to possession it would have been another story. From my hunting experience I can say it is much easier to get photo's of birds than it is to get shots of wild game, my days of still hunting are behind me.

Pepper spray and bears.... just means what they eat is now spicy.

Most reactions

Back