Will an old slr handle alright?

Lostfiniel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a nice point and shoot (Sony cybershot DSC-H7) and I since I bought it my interest has only increased. Now I want a dslr in the future. My mom had an older film slr with only one lens The battery will need replacement, it needs to be cleaned and there is one section in the back that lets in light (which is why it is currently covered with electrical tape.) But, my mom fully believes it will perform fine with some touching-up put in it.

It is a canon ftb. I believe it was one from the first two years of production. I know they made some revisions in 1973 but I don't seem them on this camera.

Is anyone familiar with this camera or have any tips I could use?

I will be taking the camera in to a shop that my cousin uses. She has a couple of vintage cameras and they carry film for those and have made minor fixes for her. They seem to know their stuff, so I am hoping they will know exactly which battery to use.

The H7 was probably around $300 or so right? You can get a 350D or even a 300D for around that and that would be a great upgrade to the H7.

The H7 was probably around $300 or so right? You can get a 350D or even a 300D for around that and that would be a great upgrade to the H7.

Alright, but I was wondering more about the canon ftb. It has been in the family since the 70's and should work alright with some very minor repair.

Will it get similar results as a modern slr if I invest in good lenses? Or should I look at getting a new body? Personally I like the idea of a fully manual body and film.

If they can fix that lightleek and find a bettery that can be used safely with it it will work just fine. but those two factors are going to be the works or not deal.

get'em fixed and you will be fine, FD lenses are not too expencive, I haven't paid more than fifty for one yet, so they can be found at a reasonable price, However once you upgrade to Digital SLR they are closet bound with out an adapter.

Thank you!

Yeah, one of the reasons I was so happy to hear that my mom had an older slr was because I didn't want to dish out all kinds of money for something I am so new to.

And because, like I said, there is something that seems to real about a manual film camera.

Thank you!

Yeah, one of the reasons I was so happy to hear that my mom had an older slr was because I didn't want to dish out all kinds of money for something I am so new to.

And because, like I said, there is something that seems to real about a manual film camera.

Ok reduce the issues by one, It uses the same batteries My EF does, and Kodak makes a batterie that is useable in it, Gimme a little bit to find them online, I can't remember exactly what it is off hand though, Worst case secanario I'll know tomorrow.

Ok reduce the issues by one, It uses the same batteries My EF does, and Kodak makes a batterie that is useable in it, Gimme a little bit to find them online, I can't remember exactly what it is off hand though, Worst case secanario I'll know tomorrow.

Thank you! It's nice to know that older bodies don't have to be considered outdated. If I really could get this camera working, I would love it. My grandfather had bought it and gave it to my mom when she was about 12. I'd like to be able to keep it going, if it will last.

you can substitude the mercury batteries with something else. I use LR44 batteries in my Minolta Hi-Matic F (which originally takes mercury batteries). Exposures turn out fine.

Anyway, a good lens combined with good film will give better results than most digital cameras out there (sharpness and "look").

Sorry if that didnt make much sense

Most reactions

New Topics

Back