Will an older flash work well on a D80?

Ryan Hall

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've got an SB-26 Speedlight and was wondering if this will work well with my D80. I've been reading through the user manual, and it lists which Nikon camera bodies are compatible with specific features of the flash, and since the D80 wasn't around when the SB-26 was sold, it's not listed in this chart. Does anyone have experience using these together? Do you know which flash features will be compatible with the camera?

Thanks

i have a non-nikon flash made in Brazil...and its a kind of old flash - works great - i just don't have full functionality such as flash compensation.

...so, i couldn't tell you anything about the SB-26, but i would think that it would work as long as the voltage is ok, and the hotshoe fits.

As stated above, you won't have the functionality but it will work. Save yourself the trouble and get an sb600 they're a world of difference.

I agree. Generally, all Speedlights are much better than on-board flash, but an SB-600 will make your life that much easier when it comes to bounce flash and off-camera flash.

just did a shoot with a friend the other day, he used the d80 and the sb26.. but he was using it off camera with the cactus trigger.. seemed to work great... and he was able to control it a lot (dont know if he had full functions, but i know he was able to do a lot with it.

The SB600 is "worth it" for someone who wants to take the thinking out of their flash setup. If however, as Burkes friend seemed to, you know HOW flash works and what kind of lighting compensation you need you don't really "need" the SB600.

Thank you for the responses. I'll be shooting bridal portraits for a friend in February, so it should come in handy. Trust me, when I get the cash, I'll be getting an SB600 or better.

If so, look for two sb600s, you can use CLS for great effects.

This does not pertain to the flash you mentioned but I thought I would throw this in because you are referring to older flashes .. you see a lot of the professional models from the 70's, 80's & 90's on ebay now for pennies compared to what they originally sold for .. to put it simply these old flashes are awesome but if you try sticking one on your new DSLR chances are you're going to fry something.

Most reactions

Back