will i need a speedlight to use my 70-200 f/4 non-IS @ 200mm?

JonathanNYC

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i'm waiting to get my lens in the mail, and I know a lot of people complain of the blurring if the lens is at full zoom without a tripod and under low light conditions, how well can a 60D stock flash compensate if I were to speed up the shutter speed? will I need a speedlight? better question, what is the effective range of a stock flash versus other flashes on the market? :thumbup:

Are you saying you want to use the pop up flash with a 200mm range?

200mm, f/4, and low light is not really a good combination. If you bought this lens for low light use, you probably bought the wrong lens.

I have it, and it's a great lens, but it is not a great low light lens.

200mm, f/4, and low light is not really a good combination. If you bought this lens for low light use, you probably bought the wrong lens.

I have it, and it's a great lens, but it is not a great low light lens.

i've used my kit lens 18-135 at full zoom in restaurants when I want to capture candid shots of people without them knowing, im wondering if this can be done with the 70-200 as well. obviously I would need to use a fast shutter speed and lots of light, i haven't gotten the lens yet so i haven't played with it, so i was pretty much wondering out of curiosity.

pretty much, but moreso to zoom in on subjects in a less than sunny day environment.

i've used my kit lens 18-135 at full zoom in restaurants when I want to capture candid shots of people without them knowing, im wondering if this can be done with the 70-200 as well. obviously I would need to use a fast shutter speed and lots of light, i haven't gotten the lens yet so i haven't played with it, so i was pretty much wondering out of curiosity.

pretty much, but moreso to zoom in on subjects in a less than sunny day environment.

Do you think they will know if you flash them?

Its about shutter speed. Bring the ISO up and have about 1/500 or faster shutter speed. 1/500 may be a little high but I rather be sure.

Push comes to shove auto ISo is your friend. Set your max sensitivity and your minimum shutter.

I have learned the hard way that a noisy in focus pic is better than clean and oof.

Push comes to shove auto ISo is your friend. Set your max sensitivity and your minimum shutter.

I have learned the hard way that a noisy in focus pic is better than clean and oof.

You must be a Nikon shooter. Most Canon camera auto ISO sucks..

Schwetty lmao !! Yea I'm a Nikon guy. Hahaha

Thanks for the replies all. I've got a 430ex speedlite on its way.

iPhone iv : tapatalk

If you can't sustain a shutter speed of AT LEAST 1/250s, or better yet, 1/320s... Then yes, I'd use a speedlight. Preferably off camera.

Most reactions

Back