Will it be illegal to photograph children in California?

Oh well after actually reading the bill, this seems like less of a big deal. The article perhaps unsurprisingly I guess spins it weirdly.

It just increases existing penalties for harrassing children due to their parent's employment.

Although note that the wording is "due to their employment" not anything about them being well known or newsworthy or anything like that. Just "due to their employment." Which is pretty damn vague.

But I suppose if that's what the law already is and it hasn't been causing abuse problems from wingnuts, then it would probably be fine now too, just with more penalties.

..............Although note that the wording is "due to their employment" not anything about them being well known or newsworthy or anything like that. Just "due to their employment." Which is pretty damn vague..............

So children of suspected criminals, lottery winners, etc. would still be 'fair game'.

Oh well after actually reading the bill, this seems like less of a big deal. The article perhaps unsurprisingly I guess spins it weirdly.

It just increases existing penalties for harrassing children due to their parent's employment.

Although note that the wording is "due to their employment" not anything about them being well known or newsworthy or anything like that. Just "due to their employment." Which is pretty damn vague.

But I suppose if that's what the law already is and it hasn't been causing abuse problems from wingnuts, then it would probably be fine now too, just with more penalties.

Disclaimer: I didn't read the bill.

I really have an issue with laws like that. Why would it be unlawful to harass a kid due to a parent's employment? Is it ok, then, to harass a kid because I don't like his blinky shoes or because he's ten and walking through a mall with a pacifier in his mouth? In fact, why does it even need to be about kids? Wouldn't it be equally "wrong" to harass an ADULT for wearing flashing shoes or sucking on a binky?

How about legislation protecting parents of child actors? :er:

How about legislation preventing the harassment of people, irrespective of age, employment, etc?

How about legislation preventing the harassment of people, irrespective of age, employment, etc?

We need to keep enacting laws. That's why we have hundreds of thousands of laws just to enforce the Ten Commandments.

I should probably moderate my own comment here and point out that we have to be careful about politics and religion. Try to keep this as much about photography as possible, ok guys? Discussion of laws related to what we're interested in are ok as long as we don't veer too far off course.

We need to keep enacting laws. That's why we have hundreds of thousands of laws just to enforce the Ten Commandments.

So which laws cover the first 5???

What we really need is common sense. But in the world today common sense is rarer than iridium and usually not sought after.

I disagree. The problem isn't the paparazzi but rather the public that demands to follow every waking moment of celebrity life.

Stop buying the magazines, watching the shows and visiting the websites that encourage this behavior. If enough people stop, then these people will be out of a job.
What is your favorite movie and who is your favorite actress?.......I have a point here I promise.

To Have and Have Not.

Lauren Bacall

Take it away sis.

So which laws cover the first 5???

What we really need is common sense. But in the world today common sense is rarer than iridium and usually not sought after.

Common sense isn't rare.

It's dead.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was as his birth records were lost long ago in bureaucratic red tape.

He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair and maybe it was my fault.

Common Sense lived by simple sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn) and reliable parenting (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job they themselves failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Panadol, sun lotion or a sticking plaster to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents Truth and Trust, his wife Discretion, his daughter Responsibility and his son Reason. He is survived by three stepbrothers:
I Know My Rights, Someone Else Is To Blame and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.

Oddly (perhaps I'm dating myself here), I don't find much of that to be indicative of common sense, or lack thereof, at all.

I don't see a problem with this law. Jennifer Garner and Halle Berry have problems keeping their kids safe, that are never going to be an issue for me, and they have a right to seek legal protection from creeps. I expect some Joe Schmoe trying to sue on these grounds for the cash he might get, would be laughed out of court -- if he could even convince a lawyer to take the case in the first place.

I really have an issue with laws like that. Why would it be unlawful to harass a kid due to a parent's employment? Is it ok, then, to harass a kid because I don't like his blinky shoes or because he's ten and walking through a mall with a pacifier in his mouth? In fact, why does it even need to be about kids? Wouldn't it be equally "wrong" to harass an ADULT for wearing flashing shoes or sucking on a binky?

No the (original) bill just lowers the bar for harrassment if the harrassment is due to the employments of the parent.

It is still illegal to harrass kids or adults otherwise, it just takes more harrassyness to be convicted.

Oddly (perhaps I'm dating myself here), I don't find much of that to be indicative of common sense, or lack thereof, at all.

I don't see a problem with this law. Jennifer Garner and Halle Berry have problems keeping their kids safe, that are never going to be an issue for me, and they have a right to seek legal protection from creeps. I expect some Joe Schmoe trying to sue on these grounds for the cash he might get, would be laughed out of court -- if he could even convince a lawyer to take the case in the first place.

Common sense...along with common decency would prescribe that just because something might not be illegal to do, that doesn't mean that one should. Sense and decency are in very short supply these days. If you want proof, all you have to do is check out the popular shows on television. Honey-boo-boo, the Bachelor or Bachelorette, the Kardashians, Duck Dynasty, Amish Mafia, The Bad Girls Club, No Boundaries, all the idiots on Ridiculousness etc... Need I go on?

I don't even need hands to count the number of school shootings when I was in school from K -12. Common sense and Elvis have both left the building.

“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.”
― Thomas Paine

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back