will my lenses fit? please help

Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi

I have a nikon FG SLR film camera (i think from the year 1982). i have 3 manual prime lenses for it (28mm, 50mm, 100mm) and am now thinking of getting a nikon D50!

will these lenses it on 'my' D50? ( i know there is a conversion rate of 1.6)

or will the lens that comes with the D50 (18-55mm) fit onto the nikon FG?

silly question i know but have searched google and asked around in shops but i dont seem to get a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer.

OR can i get some sort of adapters...??

Please someone enlighten me:thumbup:

The 18-55mm will fit on the FG however, it is not recommended. The reason being is that is designed for the smaller sensor of the D50 so it projects a smaller image circle. If you use it on a film camera you will end up with pictures with lots of vigenetting.

K

Rose said:
Hi

I have a nikon FG SLR film camera (i think from the year 1982). i have 3 manual prime lenses for it (28mm, 50mm, 100mm) and am now thinking of getting a nikon D50!

will these lenses it on 'my' D50? ( i know there is a conversion rate of 1.6)

They will fit (mount) ... BUT ... you will have no metering, and you will be restricted to manual exposure mode only. Workable, but not very convenient.

Rose said:
or will the lens that comes with the D50 (18-55mm) fit onto the nikon FG?

Again, it will fit (mount) ... BUT ... it will be next to useless on the FG. It has no aperture ring so you can't control the aperture, and the image circle is too small for the 35mm format. Forget about it.

Most reactions

Back