Will the Micro NIKKOR 105mm f/4 manual lens work with my D70s ?

snoko

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Upon trying to find a cheap way to go macro with my D70s someone suggested above lens, my question is whether this will be compatible with my camera , and whether there are perhaps better options others here could suggest for a relative beginner such as myself? ( My budget is roughly £ 150 - 175 max )

thanks

snoko

Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

If the lens is an AI or Ai-S version, it will mount on the D70s and not cause any harm. You will have to manually focus the lens of course, and there will be no light meter coupling, and the on-board flash will need to be set to a manual mode, or it will not fire. The D70, being an entry-level Nikon body did not have the meter coupling abilities of the D200 or D300 with AI and AI-S lenses.

If the lens is an OLD 105/4, that is, one made before the Ai-era, or NOT CONVERTED to the AI-specification, mounting it on a D70s could damage the minimum aperture sensing pin located at the 7 to 8 o'clock position on the front, just outside the lens mount. Older lenses are recognizable by their fluted METAL focusing rings; there was a short 3-year period where rubber inset focusing rings were also found on pre-AI lenses. Are you able to recognize how to tell if the lens you have is an Ai- or AI-S vintage model?

If the lens is an AI or Ai-S version, it will mount on the D70s and not cause any harm. You will have to manually focus the lens of course, and there will be no light meter coupling, and the on-board flash will need to be set to a manual mode, or it will not fire. The D70, being an entry-level Nikon body did not have the meter coupling abilities of the D200 or D300 with AI and AI-S lenses.

If the lens is an OLD 105/4, that is, one made before the Ai-era, or NOT CONVERTED to the AI-specification, mounting it on a D70s could damage the minimum aperture sensing pin located at the 7 to 8 o'clock position on the front, just outside the lens mount. Older lenses are recognizable by their fluted METAL focusing rings; there was a short 3-year period where rubber inset focusing rings were also found on pre-AI lenses. Are you able to recognize how to tell if the lens you have is an Ai- or AI-S vintage model?

Well, I dont actually have the lens yet, its just one I saw on ebay for a good price .

I did ask the seller about it being Ai or AI-S though , so Im hoping he knows what it will means.

What about using reverse ring adapters , are they any good at all - or does it depend more on the camera ?

thanks,

snoko

Hello again,

Yes , I just got reply from the seller and he tells me its AI , so now i suppose I'll just have to hope it stays that way ( its currently round £50.00 )

What would you consider a good buy for one of these lenses yourself , and are there any other manual alternatives youd recommend ?

thanks again,

snoko

Last edited:
£50.00 sounds like a good buy if it's in decent condition. Ken Rockwell's page, referenced above,lists some pretty good alternatives. "Most" 100 or 105mm macro lenses made over the last 30 years offer pretty good to excellent optics. Even some of the "cheapies", like the former $100 model made by Cosina, and sold under five or six different brand names in the early 2000's was quite decent. Over the years, Kiron, Tokina, and Vivitar have had models that were decent.

£50.00 sounds like a good buy if it's in decent condition. Ken Rockwell's page, referenced above,lists some pretty good alternatives. "Most" 100 or 105mm macro lenses made over the last 30 years offer pretty good to excellent optics. Even some of the "cheapies", like the former $100 model made by Cosina, and sold under five or six different brand names in the early 2000's was quite decent. Over the years, Kiron, Tokina, and Vivitar have had models that were decent.

Well, it looks like it will sell for over $200 now , is a 2nd hand manual even in good condition worth that much ?

I see a tamaron 90mm f /2.8 macro 1:1 for £50.00 with a day to go , though i guess it might jump too.

snoko

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back