Will this work? (Film Question)

elemental

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a roll of film in the old rangefinder from eBay that's getting sent back. I've shot eight frames with it, but I have no interest in finishing the roll. The camera needs to be sent back, and it's clear that it has some issues. I want to retrieve the film and use the rest of it in my Ricoh, but am curious about the Yashica shots, so here's my idea:

Rewind the film in the Yashica,
Load the film into the Ricoh,
Advance to the ninth frame at f/22, 1/1000 shutter speed, and with the lens cap on,
Shoot as normal for the rest of the roll.

Now that I think through this, there's really only one issue: I need to rewind the film far enough to cover the frames, but to keep the leader out so I can reload it into the other body. Any idea how to figure out when the leader has detached from the winding thingy but isn't back into the canister yet?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Last edited:
Mechanical rewind? You should be able to rewind it slowly and hear a quiet "thwick" sound when the leader slips out of the reel. Then you know that all of your pictures are safe and the leader is still out.

Thanks to both of you. I realized right after posting that I should probably specify that both cameras are fully mechanical. I will try it a little later tonight- here's hoping I hear that "click."

Hey, if you don't here that click, than just get the tool that deanimator pointed out, probably just good to have in general anyway.

I once rewound a roll of film back into the can before I shot it. I just took it to the Target 1hr photo center and asked the lady if she could pull out the leader for me, no problem she said and handed it back to me leader out. It didnt hurt that im in there all the time picking up prints.

If you don't hear the 'thwick' then take that banana outta yer ear. It's pretty audible. Don't worry about it.

Well, didn't hear the "thwick," but I did notice when the roll became completely stuck because the leader wouldn't release. Popped it open, loaded it into the Ricoh, advanced to the ninth frame, seems like everything worked out. I guess I'll see if it really worked once I get the roll developed, but I don't see why it wouldn't have.

Thank you all for the advice.

Well, didn't hear the "thwick," but I did notice when the roll became completely stuck because the leader wouldn't release. Popped it open, loaded it into the Ricoh, advanced to the ninth frame, seems like everything worked out. I guess I'll see if it really worked once I get the roll developed, but I don't see why it wouldn't have.

Thank you all for the advice.

As long as the very end of the leader was at the takeup spool (film only reaching from cassette to spool) it will be fine.

This is actually a quite common practice to keep in mind. Say you are shooting ISO 100 outdoors, but then go into a building and want to switch to 800, just use a marker to write the number of frames on the roll of film when you switch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back