Windows 7 and viewing RAW files

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anytime I shoot RAW, I also have to shoot JPEG too. I have to do this because I cannot view the RAW files until I bring them up in Elements. This is getting to be some kind of an annoyance. Does anyone else use Windows 7 and have a solution for this problem? I have tried searching for an update for the photo viewer but no dice.

Capture-4.jpg

Capture2.jpg

I use windows 7 and originally had the same issue. The best way to get around it is to opt NOT to import the pictures to your photo library when you upload from the camera. Instead, create a folder (on your desktop or somewhere with easy access) and save the images there without "sharing" it with your library.

Then you can manually go in and separte out your RAW files from the jpg's .. (I like to make a subfolder inside labeled RAW versions). Now, when you view the contents of your folder with live view, it will only go through the jpegs.
If you want to then share that folder with your library, take out the one labled "raw versions" and save it somewhere on your hard drive that you like to keep raw files. For example, I keep a folder on my desktop, titled "raw photoshoots" and then inside, every subfolder will have the title of the shoot, and contain only raw files.

Then just copy/past the folder you have left containing only jpegs into your picture library. (windowskey + E) (C drive) (Users) ('youraccountname') (pictures), and now your jpeg folder is saved in your windows library, and your Raws have a home away from everything else.

That's how I do it anyway, and I'm sure it's more work than somebody out there has a solution for, I tend to make things difficult =P But it works well, and things stay sorted nicely!

That seems like a lot of work.

That seems like a lot of work.

You're probably right:lol: Maybe I"ll learn an easier way to do it from this thread too- I think you probably import straight to lightroom if you wanted as well.

The term CODEC is Short for compressor/decompressor. A codec is a program used by Windows for compressing and decompressing data.

Download the appropriate CODEC for your camera so Windows can see RAW files and you're all set.

Microsoft offers this Web page to get the appropriate CODEC for your camera... Microsoft Professional Photography: Codecs

Good Luck!

Last edited:

I looked at that one, I just didn't want to pay.

The term CODEC is Short for compressor/decompressor. A codec is a program used by Windows for compressing and decompressing data.

Download the appropriate CODEC for your camera so Windows can see RAW files and you're all set.

Microsoft offers this Web page to get the appropriate CODEC for your camera... Microsoft Professional Photography: Codecs

Good Luck!

That worked great. Thanks!

Good Luck!

I`m wondering if these codecs are compatible with Windows 7.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back