Windows Explorer and RAW?

xj0hnx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure exactly where this question would belong, so I am trying it here.

Is there anyway to make Windows Explorer display RAW images as a graphic thumbnail, as opposed to just the generic file type?

I've been shooting in RAW with no jpeg (to save space, and there's no reason to shoot jpeg as most images get post worked anyway., but have to import into Lightroom, or Photo Mechanic to see the images, but sometimes I just want to go straight to Photoshop, but not being able to see which image is which makes it a pain.

You need a RAW converter.

Last edited:
Just to pick a nit. You might want to think about storing your RAW files in Digital NeGative format (DNG). RAW files are proprietary in nature (hence the need for a file from a manufacturer) and can change over time something Canon loves to do. If the manufacturer decides not to continue to support for the RAW file format, you are out of luck.

Addressing this concern Adobe played a major part in developing the 'open' DNG format. I don't even bother to save the RAW files anymore, they are converted to DNG as they are downloaded from the card.

DNG is sort of anti-propriety, in that if you convert to DNG, Nikon Raw software will not open them. They can all use NEF.

If you do choose DNG, Adobe also has a similar codex that will let Windows display the thumbnails.

Not all Raw file types are proprietary. Some digital camera makers use, or include as an option, DNG as their Raw file type.

DNG is owned by Adobe, but Adobe has declared DBG an open source file type. Digital Negative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Each camera that uses a proprietary Raw file type has a unique Raw file structure.
That's why Adobe has to reverse engineer the proprietary file type for each new model of camera that has a proprietary Raw file type.
Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras

..... If the manufacturer decides not to continue to support for the RAW file format, you are out of luck..............

And once again, I must reiterate that this does not happen overnight.

Everyone that drinks the DNG-flavored Kool-Aid imply all the camera raw formats are suddenly going to quit working tomorrow morning. They ain't. It's a simple as that.

Kodak quit making cameras, but their cameras kept on working despite that. DeLorean went belly up. Yet there's still DeLoreans on the road. (same for Tucker) Lionel Corporation doesn't make model trains are no longer made, but how many kids and hobbyists still run them in their basements?

And if Nikon should lock their doors Monday morning, I seriously doubt my computer will suddenly stop launching Capture NX.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back