Garbz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.auer.garbz.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
<rant>
So I've decided to upgrade my computer the other day, and it is perfectly suited for it. All the engineering apps I use are well threaded, Lightroom runs well on multi-core systems, photoshop especially loves the RAM, so what the heck I figured for less than $300 I get an upgrade to 4GB of ram and go from an E6300 to a Q6600 for almost 4 times the raw processing power excluding the frontside bus gains.

WHY THE **** AM I NOW REINSTALLING WINDOWS. I mean who coded this ****. What kind of an operating system will not work with a change of processor. This is not a change in architecture, no new drivers, no real change at all. Heck the E6300 was a Core2Duo so that was dual core as well so it should use the same kernel level code as you would for a quad core. (I could understand if I went from a single core to a multicore system).

I mean I run several OSes here. Windows XP, Windows Vista, OpenSolaris, and Gentoo Linux. Why did XP and Vista cause my computer to randomly lock till I reinstalled everything.

You know what's worse? Windows NT3.1 OEM for embedded support was dropped the other day. Yes that's right, soon enough NT4 support will be dropped and then we'll be stuck with this crap in our embedded devices. I can't wait for my first fridge to bluescreen when I put a hot pan inside it as it struggles with the change in temperature.

:grumpy:

</rant>

welcome to the world of independent compaines - dozens of different people making bits of kit for the same end machine - and they display at key lacking in the most basic of areas of teamwork - that of effective and good communication!

As well as a lack of good groundrules and standards - such is the world of a windows PC

welcome to the world of independent compaines - dozens of different people making bits of kit for the same end machine - and they display at key lacking in the most basic of areas of teamwork - that of effective and good communication!

As well as a lack of good groundrules and standards - such is the world of a windows PC

well, as stated, it works much better with every other serious OS.

new G3 laptop with 10.3 > later fully reinstalled MAC OS X 10.4 and loaded everything I wanted.

used G4 workstation> imaged my G3 and loaded the image to G4 workstation.

new G4 laptop> imaged my G4 workstation and loaded the image to my G4 laptop.

used G5 workstation> imaged my G4 laptop and loaded the image to my G5 workstation.

Upgraded 10.4 to 10.5 on both G5 workstation and G4 laptop. I haven't performed a full reinstall since I purchased my original G3 back in around 1998 .

When/if I move to Mac/Intel, I hope all I have to do is image the preinstalled O/S and do the same everytime I get a new Mac/Intel.

The only thing Apple has done that pissed me off was that Aperture doesn't support the video card in either my G4 or G5 (I could upgrade the card). No matter, I'm more than likely going with lightroom anyway.

<< runs and hides.

[edit] oops.. I recall that I had yet an even older G3 in 98... I think the real date was around 2000

Last edited:
Well ofcourse. Apple = Unix. I've never have to change my server either even though it took the most drastic change of moving the main root partition from and old ext2 partition on a single hdd to an ext3 partition in a software raid1 setup. The move was non trivial but it was doable. It's the way things are meant to work.

Changing controller cards in windows however is almost certain to give you a blue screen when you boot the computer.

Btw here's more tales from the crazy. After re-installing my computer I decided now's a good time to move the entire Administrator profile to another drive, which I had only partially done previously. Now after moving and updating and shuffling etc I come accross two files in the LocalSettings\ApplicationData\SecuROM folder which I could not delete (Microsoft's Fault) because they had invalid NTFS entries (SecuROM's rootkit tactics and not Microsoft's fault). Who designs a file system that allows you to create an entry which can't be removed because of a corrupt filename? I did eventually get rid of it after spending half an hour going through the MSDN database looking for the knowledge base article. But if the "del" tool from the command prompt can remove a file it can't see, then why can't windows explore remove a file it can see?

Still :grumpy:

I would guess that Windows only installs the drivers necessary to run on the hardware that it detects. So when you change it, you have to reinstall it. I would guess it does this for two reasons. First, to save space. Second (and more likely), so that you can't install it on one hard drive on one system and then give that hard drive to a friend for their own system. Part of their anti-pirating system.

I would guess that Windows only installs the drivers necessary to run on the hardware that it detects. So when you change it, you have to reinstall it. I would guess it does this for two reasons. First, to save space. Second (and more likely), so that you can't install it on one hard drive on one system and then give that hard drive to a friend for their own system. Part of their anti-pirating system.

It's unfortunately not because of piracy, it is in fact, a really annoying bug. If you make a major change, occasionally, it will actually boot up properly, but you have to re-activate it. The not booting after a change is not intentional...

I feel your pain, though, with how many upgrades I've gone through in the last year (and another one in the near future...hello q9450)

It's unfortunately not because of piracy, it is in fact, a really annoying bug. If you make a major change, occasionally, it will actually boot up properly, but you have to re-activate it. The not booting after a change is not intentional...

Fair enough. I was trying to be nice and give M$ the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Please don't. They have too much benefit and not enough doubt as it is ;)

Normally I'd agree with the drivers thing, but the point here is that there is no driver. The E6300 is identical in architecture to the Q6600. Both have multiple cores, speedstep, virtualisation, NX bits, both even have the exact same CPU microcode bug which intel published both BIOS and OS level patches for. The only differences is 4 cores instead of 2 (a transparent change to an OS which already handles multicores), 1066Mhz FSB (transparent to the system except to the motherboard), and 2.4Ghz core speed (transparent to everything given that it changes with load due to speedstep).

That's what has me scratching my head. It's like upgrading your RAM by putting more of the same in (like when I went from 2gb to 4gb last month). The process here should have been entirely transparent to the OS.

Please don't. They have too much benefit and not enough doubt as it is ;)

Gee, the ONE time I try to not go off on M$, I get yelled at for it. From now on, it's straight Windoze bashing from me. :greenpbl:

Gee, the ONE time I try to not go off on M$, I get yelled at for it. From now on, it's straight Windoze bashing from me. :greenpbl:
haha thats funny:lmao:

Most reactions

Back