Winter Birch -- C&C please

dcclark

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
blog.dcclark.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here we go: a very simple photo of a birch in winter.

Again, a possible portfolio piece. Please critique as much as you like and feel free to be harsh. But preemptively: the whites aren't really blown out -- per the histogram, only a tiny amount of detail at the high end has been lost. The birch is very bright, clearly, but in print the detail shows up well.

main.php

For starts, the picture is visible in the light blue / grey frame. Not sure if this is intended, but I think it defeats the purpose of the frame.

I also find the picture not very interesting. Well shot, composition is ok, but overall, not very interesting.

My first impression was..."ok, yeah, thats what it is".

+1 on the frame. Nice contrast with the white on blue .
Troy

For starts, the picture is visible in the light blue / grey frame. Not sure if this is intended, but I think it defeats the purpose of the frame.

Yep, that is intentional -- it's supposed to be just a translucent overlay. I've always liked the effect. Does it actually distract?

I also find the picture not very interesting. Well shot, composition is ok, but overall, not very interesting.

My first impression was..."ok, yeah, thats what it is".

Thanks for the honesty. I have an interesting problem: I really like images like this, mainly because they're so striking. I'm also a fan of simple lines, geometry, and so on. I think that I like them for the simplicity -- but I often find that people say the same thing as you: basically... "yeah, so?"

Does that make sense?

I like it! it's clean, great color, and the lines of the tree is enough to hold my intrest!

I say well done!

I think it's a nice shot but I also agree that the border would probably look better solid rather than transparent :)

Thanks nick, polly. I'm amused at all the response to the border: I do this on every single photo, but this is the first time anyone's said anything, positive or negative! However, I usually use a dark border. I'll post an updated version later.

I think your seeing coments on this one because you eye can't help but follow the line of the tree up and down(which is obviously good as the tree is the subject), so everyone who looks at this image will notice the frame. and ontop of that it's the last thing they will see and walk away remembering it.

Here's a revised copy with an opaque border. No other changes. Very good idea nickfmc, I hadn't thought about that before!

main.php

i love the vibe i'm getting from your photo. its got a great artsy, almost painted-on feel to it. I think its one of those kinds of photos that people will either really like or they really won't. But I think it is good you can pull off this kind of photo. Very good job.

Thanks, Flower Child. I think you're right about the love-hate thing people will have: the photo is extremely minimal, and you're either into that or not. I was hoping to get more critique from the point of view of those who do like that style of photo / painting (whether they like this particular one or not).

Most reactions

Back