Winter Blizzard

Spidy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Wow, it's really difficult taking good pictures of a blizzard. They all looked dull and gray, but I guess that's what a blizzard looks like.

I took these this morning "through my window" (I know!), so they may not be the best, but I didn't think they turned out too bad for window shots. I would love to hear tips on how to shoot this type of weather. If not through a window how would you do this without wrecking your camera? All critiques are welcome. I am very new with my camera and this is my first post other than the test post.

IMG_43312.jpg

IMG_43332.jpg

IMG_43342.jpg

IMG_41782.jpg

Personally, I believe that having a colorful sky would do a lot for these pictures. If you waited for a break in the storm and captured a really blue sky it would add so much more depth to the pictures.

Also the trees are leafless and aren't a very good focus point. You should try focusing on houses or cars, something that fills the picture more.

I like the last one but I think it's missing some sensation. Maybe focusing up on the sign more, maybe a different angle? I think if you crop it and play around with the colors you could really get a great shot.

None of these shots really do it for me, but I like the concept of the last one the best. But none of the shots, in their current form, really do a whole lot for me, as they are all rather boring to me. There's nothing here that stands out. I'm not sure if it's worth taking the time to post-process these very heavily, as I'm not entirely sure any of the shots have anything spectacular hidden within them, waiting for software to them out. But, hey, good try.

yea I think the last one is almost there... it's just missing something. If the sign were bigger I think it would've been better.

But hey there's always the next blizzard right?

Personally, I believe that having a colorful sky would do a lot for these pictures. If you waited for a break in the storm and captured a really blue sky it would add so much more depth to the pictures.

Also the trees are leafless and aren't a very good focus point. You should try focusing on houses or cars, something that fills the picture more.

I like the last one but I think it's missing some sensation. Maybe focusing up on the sign more, maybe a different angle? I think if you crop it and play around with the colors you could really get a great shot.

Thank you so much for the feedback! I appreciate all and any.

As for the "blue" sky, we have plenty of those days too, I was trying to capture the "blizzard". I guess there isn't anything too exciting about a snow storm! The sky actually looks this way, very gray and dark.

I took these from my window, so trying to get an angle was difficult. I made due with what I had. I actually found the bare tree's to be interesting, but then again I'm always looking for something odd, or unusual. Doesn't mean it will always work for me.

I still see an interesting something in these shots. I'm not sure what it is though.

Thanks again for the comments!

None of these shots really do it for me, but I like the concept of the last one the best. But none of the shots, in their current form, really do a whole lot for me, as they are all rather boring to me. There's nothing here that stands out. I'm not sure if it's worth taking the time to post-process these very heavily, as I'm not entirely sure any of the shots have anything spectacular hidden within them, waiting for software to them out. But, hey, good try.

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate it! I don't think I will be looking to fine tune these shots anyway, because like I said ... they were taken through the window and I'm sure that alone will be detramental to the outcome. My main question was how could I make a drab and snowy storm look better without wrecking my camera? Maybe someone will come along with that answer!

Again ... Thanks so much for your comments!!

put a plastic bag around it, with just the tip of the lens exposed would probably be the easiest and cheapest way

put a plastic bag around it, with just the tip of the lens exposed would probably be the easiest and cheapest way

Thanks, I actually thought about doing that; might try it with the "next" snowstorm :D

Camera's are pretty good against the elements, you should be fine if you cover up your camera the times your aren't shootin.

Yeah, I'd say just take some precautions and cover your camera with a plastic bag when you aren't shooting, or get someone to hold an umbrella over you. Maybe get one of those nifty umbrella hats? :p

Now, there's nothing wrong with having a snowstorm shot be drab, in fact, it might be most desirable. My suggestions, if you want to take that route, find an interesting subject and compose the shot so the subject is lonely. Try and get the shot in a high-contrast black and white set-up. The important thing is to see what you have to work with, and pick a composition and lighting style that suits that subject. Say, dead tree alone on a hill in blizzard, fine a way to isolate that tree and give it a lonely feel. Or, child making snowman, make that shot bright and colorful and happy. But, you can't make a shot of a bare tree all alone in the stark winter wonderland exactly a bright, vivid shot, sort of kills the mood. But, at the same time, there's subject versus presentation contrast that can make a shot really interesting, but that's a pretty advanced topic and it's tough to pull off.

Most reactions

Back