"Winter Formals" Help

Big Baller Digital

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I need advise, A friend of mind is a teacher at a small continuation school and is in need of a phtographer (last minute). She knows that I primerely shoot events but has asked me if I would be interested in doing the Winter Formal photos for this year. 09 Dec. I have alittle experience in portraits with backdrops as I shoot with Interfit strobes with defusers (umbrellas) but she said they just finished an indoor pond with waterfall that they want to use for a background. This would mean that there would be a depth of field? Will it work? Should I recommend using a backdrop instead of their idea? Any advise would be greatly appreciated

Lighting will be a problem to achieve this depth? especially using strobes, maybe using continuous lighting? maybe recommend using my backdrops? maybe pass this on to someelse?

Your job as a pro is to give the client what she wants. You can throw the fountain out of focus if that is appropriate. Light it separately if that is appropriate. Leave it unlit if that is appropriate.

Get there early and take some test shots. Show her the different things you are capable of (blurry pond and waterfall, in focus pond and waterfall, lit or not lit, ect) and see which one she likes the best. I can't imagine her wanting the pond completely in focus because if it is half decent looking it will distract from the subjects.

Really it's all about pleasing the client, so you find out what she wants and it'll be fine, provided your setup is capable of doing it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back