Winter scenes

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I just recently moved too Alaska. I like too know whats the best techniques too photograph snow. When I take few pics they come out grey....Even though i shoot in raw. I am still challenged on the right temp and processes?
Heres a sample image:

4182170927_f64f39bafb_b.jpg

Shoot raw, adjust the WB in post to make the snow white. It also looks under-exposed which is part of the problem with it looking that grey.

Shoot raw, adjust the WB in post to make the snow white. It also looks under-exposed which is part of the problem with it looking that grey.

Hmm thanks, n shooting on a cloudy day makes it even worst too..... thanks for the advice.

Even with a cloudy day, you can get the exposure right. In this, it's the snow that's underexposed so you can work a slower shutter speed or wider aperture to bring that exposure up.

Even with a cloudy day, you can get the exposure right. In this, it's the snow that's underexposed so you can work a slower shutter speed or wider aperture to bring that exposure up.

Ahhhh i try it again, I was also using a polarizer too.....

Yeah, I would just adjust the contrast & white balance afterward on your computer. Often the snow appears to be bright white but in reality the light reflects other colors into your camera sensor.I don't live in Alaska, but have quite a few winter shots, if you'd like to see them. :) Click here to see my site.

When photographing snow the meter will try to turn it to middle gray so you need to use exposure compensation at about +1 to +1.7 to get white snow.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back