Winter's short interlude in North Germany (the close-ups)

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Winter came for a short visit. For some three or four days we actually had temps below freezing point and a bit of snow and a clear sky with the sun out. As of today, though, we are back to too warm temps, thick, grey clouds, heavy rain and lots of wind. Blah!

Here are some of the "Ice and Snow" (in pathetic amounts, mind you) close-ups I took when I had the chance.

On Thursday I left the house before sunrise and captured the first few pics right AT sunrise, which made the dusting of snow that we then had look all pink (and other things, too).

HauchvonSchnee5.jpg

HauchvonSchnee.jpg

Later the red-ish colour of very early light changed to more yellow-golden as the sun rose higher:

JanuarmorgenanMhle_03.jpg

(Can you live with the composition here?)

Januar-EisSchnee_01.jpg

Januar-EisSchnee_03.jpg

JanuarmorgenanMhle_06.jpg

In shadow-y areas there still was quite a bit of blue in the air

JanuarmorgenanMhle_04.jpg

Here time was nearing 10:30h and the more "magic" light got exchanged by some more "regular" light

Januar-EisSchnee_12.jpg

Januar-EisSchnee_14.jpg

This may well be ALL the "Ice and Snow" pics I'll ever get this winter... or I get more of these in March when we all long for spring!?!?

Winter came for a short visit...
Yes very short and to short for me :grumpy:
But I am happy to see those pictures!!!
All are amazing, really.
Number 3,4,5 and 7 are the best I think.
I hope it will snow again this winter, so I`ll get some pictures like you did...

very nice series
if we're picking favourites: 3 and 4

(yes i can live with the composition, if only my own was so nicely rounded)

and there's never enough white balance options are there...

Thank you for commenting. Makes me really happy.
I took many more on that Thursday. It was such a nice day, and having a nice day was such a CHANGE!
Might post my more landscape-less-close-up photos later, just in case you are interested? Went to my favourite spot at the mill again and to one of "my trees"... it was just too nice a day NOT to be out with the camera.

Oh Corinna, what a beautiful series! I hope you're terribly pleased with these. The warmth of the light in the first few is gorgeous (and the first pic especially just blows me away!! I love it). You captured oh so well the onset of winter, with freshfallen snow and water skimming over with ice. Bravo.
celb (4).gif

Thank you :D.

...the onset of winter...

You mean that was only the "onset"?
If only!
That was all! :cry:

Snow, ice, lovely colours - just aren't any more. Back to grey, grey, grey!

i love the light you captured in the first 3, those are my favs, especially #3. nice shots corinna... :thumbup:

So the fact that the photo (#3) is clearly divided in a top half and a bottom half by the bank and the reflection does not bother anyone?

For on that very day, for some funny reason, I took many more photos (all including reflections of sorts) that were somehow NOT following any rule of thirds (not that I would see that in them), but upon composing them, I felt I had to go this division-in-halves way :scratch:

Wanna see?
Like some of my more wide-angle "winter"-photos (of what it called itself winter here)?

No, the 'clear divide' in #3 doesn't irritate me in the slightest. Rules are made to be broken. Scratch that. Rules are made to be broken, beaten, bloodied and tossed down to the ground, continuously ravaged in a fit of apoplectic, artistic fury.

That said, #5's my fav. It's like your brief flirtation with winter's floating away with you down the river...:(

Ah yes, thanks. No 5 it is for you then?
Yes, the light was very special in that moment and from that angle. Made the ice look golden for that brief moment... ;)
Later that day, like some 8 hours later or so, the whole scene looked all different - I was back there and then for more pics.

Just one more here of the many fences that I get to see everywhere I go, for this one I tried to find the spot again where I took the close-up of the fence for my Flooded_Meadows series, Photo 2, but I am sure I did not find the spot. But this is the very fence and the very meadow in the background, last Thursday frozen over and with the sprinkling of snow that we had, and I feel DOF was too short here, as the fence pole no longer is in focus, only the part of fence on the left. Therefore I am a little :irked: with myself...

Januar-EisSchnee_11.jpg

Great series, nice composition and use of light. My faves #3,4,7.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back