wireless flash ....what to buy

Ryan L

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
deciding btw st-e2, pocket wizards, radio poppers, cheapie ebay specials. Ok, I am looking into wireless flash options, but I would like to be able to use ETTL and HSS sometimes. I have a 580exII and 430exII so I have the master, slave option already but would like to be able to get both off camera at times. Would I be better off getting the st-e2 and some ebay RF remotes? I think most of the time I could get away with line of sight for the IR st-e2, and have the RF for those time when dont have the line of sight. I think the pocketwizards might be overkill for what would be using them for. Anyone have any suggestions?

well if you're needing ETTL and HSS the only 2 options are RPs and PWs so that pretty much answers your own q as far as the cheapies.

happy with my cactii

do any of the cheapies have a pc port where the 580 could remotely fire it? example, If I get the st-e2 could I set it to fire the 580 and have the 580 trigger the cheapies? I know I still wouldnt have ettl or hss on the rf trigger but just curious if they have the capability.

You really shouldn't need HSS or TTL off camera. Seriously.

It will probably just complicate things. One thing you always get with manual off camera flashes is consistency (Unless your batteries are low).

It will probably just complicate things. One thing you always get with manual off camera flashes is consistency (Unless your batteries are low).

ACTUALLY he would depending on what he's shooting. When he needs flash during day light to to cut down the background lighting with high shutter speed. :er:

Ryan, if I were you, I'd just invest it on a PW or RP just because it'll come in handy much more than cheapies (outdoor). For indoor, I'd say yeah go get cheap ones (what I use for my indoor shoots)

ACTUALLY he would depending on what he's shooting. When he needs flash during day light to to cut down the background lighting with high shutter speed. :er:

Ryan, if I were you, I'd just invest it on a PW or RP just because it'll come in handy much more than cheapies (outdoor). For indoor, I'd say yeah go get cheap ones (what I use for my indoor shoots)

Yeah, except that's not what everyone said when you posted the EXACT SAME QUESTION. If I remember correctly everyone said "Yeah in rare and unusual circumstances, you may need to use HSS or TTL". Well actually, you really WILL NOT ever have to use TTL. You just simply won't have a situation where you NEED to use it. MAYBE you might need HSS, but far less frequently than you think.

Next, you're going to tell him that he can't take shots over 300mm without IS, right?

Yeah, except that's not what everyone said when you posted the EXACT SAME QUESTION. If I remember correctly everyone said "Yeah in rare and unusual circumstances, you may need to use HSS or TTL". Well actually, you really WILL NOT ever have to use TTL. You just simply won't have a situation where you NEED to use it. MAYBE you might need HSS, but far less frequently than you think.

Next, you're going to tell him that he can't take shots over 300mm without IS, right?

How the hell do you know if he's EVER need it or not? You are a goofball kid. :thumbdown:

Never mentioned anything about ETTL nor HSS but given the fact when I said using "high shutter speed" that should be a given that he'll be using HSS :er:

learning manual flash exposure isnt a bad thing i guess. There is a ST-E2 on craigs list for 140 thats just eating at me though! I am just a sucker for a deal. Maybe a light meter would be a better investment.

Because I use my strobe a lot and I know how it works, and the relationship between aperture and shutter speed and how it differs when you use flash?

I don't know Mo. I just understand how light works, I guess.

Because I use my strobe a lot and I know how it works, and the relationship between aperture and shutter speed and how it differs when you use flash?

Uhh yeah I bet you do and we all saw your playing w/ flash light thread :thumbup:

If I'm not mistaken he's talking about his Canon 580 EX II and his 430 EX II and not a studio strobe.

learning manual flash exposure isnt a bad thing i guess. There is a ST-E2 on craigs list for 140 thats just eating at me though! I am just a sucker for a deal. Maybe a light meter would be a better investment.

Ryan, I want to stress that you'll probably be happier with learning manual flash. It gives you far more control, and lets you change the variables fairly easily. It's really not as hard as you think... SrBiscuit knows quite a bit, and I'm experimenting and trying new things myself.

Uhh yeah I bet you do and we all saw your playing w/ flash light thread :thumbup:

If I'm not mistaken he's talking about his Canon 580 EX II and his 430 EX II and not a studio strobe.

YEAH MO AND WE SAW YOUR WEDDING THREAD, AND COOKIE SCOOPER THREAD. LOTS OF GOOD SHOTS IN THERE. :thumbup:

Now lets stop bringing up the past and help make Ryan an educated decision.

Stop being a dink. Lets try and help Ryan, rather than to act like TTL and HSS are absolute powers that control the universe.

YEAH MO AND WE SAW YOUR WEDDING THREAD, AND COOKIE SCOOPER THREAD. LOTS OF GOOD SHOTS IN THERE. :thumbup:

Now lets stop bringing up the past and help make Ryan an educated decision.

Stop being a dink. Lets try and help Ryan, rather than to act like TTL and HSS are absolute powers that control the universe.

Please, kid, I'll call you out ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. I've started photography after you and I'll ALWAYS stay ahead of you in this game.

But you're always ahead of me to be a dick. I'll give you that one
Go shoot a wedding and get back to me:thumbup:

Most reactions

Back