Wireless shutter release from directly below???

dennybeall

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.citrusphotorestore.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The D5300 has sensors on the front and back for the signal from the ML-L3 wireless trigger.
It works from the front and above fine but:
I want to trigger from directly below.
I want to put it on top of a pole I'm holding and fire the shutter with the ML-L3.
Can the signal from the ML-L3 be reflected? If so I could put a little hat on the D5300????? Will look silly but would it work?

Not really. I've tried that before reflecting the MLL3 and also reflecting the IR from SU-800s. It's best to get a wired remote or radio trigger (best option).

I have a couple OEM ML-L3 and I haven't thought about them since I got a wired then radio triggers - of which I use both of them a lot.

Some years ago I remember fooling around with my TV remote; aiming it away from the TV, and reflecting the signal off some object in the room. While technically it might work, you will have to experiment with it to find the strengths and weaknesses in the system. And while the trick might work 9 times out of 10, I think you'd be better off with a sure-fire system.

I still have to flip my phone open to make a call so can't use an app. Actually I made a little plate out of roof flashing and stuck it in the hotshoe over the plastic cover and it works very well as a reflector. I put the camera on the monopod and held it straight up (My arm +monopod = abt 8' up) Surprised me that the ML-L3 fired it fine and it would not without the reflector.
Question answered??
The radio triggers would be more useful but don't have the cash for one handy.....

So what are you trying to get a shot of that requires 8 ft up?

I have Vello brand radio trigger for the camera which was around $35. There are cheaper brands under $20 out there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back