Wireless slave?

jusejuse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there,

Yesterday I received my soft box in the mail, and was trying to get a hang of it with my external flash. I have a Canon 60d and 580 ex ii Speedlite. I put my flash into slave mode, but can only trigger it while using my on-camera flash. Is it possible for me to trigger the external flash without the on-camera flash or is the flash what triggers the external flash? Or is this the part where wireless triggers comes in?

I've tried reading the manual EOS Documentation Project - Speedlite 580EX II PDF* , but I feel overwhelmed...

Thanks all.

The slave flash gets its signal from the preflash sent by the master flash (in this case the 60d) and allows the flash to work with the camera in E-TTL mode. The other way is to use a wireless transmitter on the camera, a wireless trigger on the 580, and set the power on the 580 manually. My own experience is that the wireless/manual method is more reliable and reproducible. The other aspect to manual operation of the flash is that you can't use the "high-speed" option of the flash - that will work only if the flash is paired up with the camera in E-TTL mode. For the wireless triggers you can spend little (Yuongo transmitters/triggers for about $30) up to much more ($400+ for transmitter/receiver combo from Pocket wizards, for instance).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back