Wireless Transfer

CanonSnob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jadamphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so i know that Canon makes the WTF-EA1&2... whatever the letters are... I was reading how it works and I guess it runs over a Local Area Network. So basically there needs to be WiFi internet access in order to transfer your files directly from you camera to your computer. Not to mention that it is a clunky piece of hardware attached to the outside of your camera. (Nikon I know has an exterior LAN file transfer feature as well)

I'm wondering when they will be able to have such hardware built into the camera, and also not rely on LAN.

(I'm not uber computer savvy) Why not use something like blue tooth, so as to not be restricted by internet access hot spots? Can it not send those large amounts of data that a CR2 img produces? Is it confined by transfer speed (slower than I guess LAN)

On the hardware side I know that blue tooth is quite a small feature from seeing the tiny a$$ cell phones and other small electronics they jam it into. So it shouldn't be an issue of it being to big of a feature to pack into an all ready overly crammed camera body.

Bluetooth has a range of about 30 feet, that's one reason. I don't know too much on the other stuff s I'll only comment on the bluetooth thing.

the WFT-E1a is also wireless... not just through LAN... and has a bit more range then bluetooth... I have transfered with mine on an Ad-Hoc network (meaning peer to peer, camera to laptop) at almost 300 feet with an external antenna on my wireless card and larger antenna on the WFT-E1a

The principle of it works as an FTP to whereever you want... so if your laptop or desktop has internet access you can send the pictures anywhere on the web that you choose... although I personally just send to my laptop...

The ONLY downside (if you want to call it that) is that it also sends a copy to the card in your camera... so when your cards full... your shooting stops... but that IS redundant security that some people want...

Really? :) So you can be out in the middle of no where and it can still transfer from the camera to a laptop? Sounds much more appealing.

Yup as long as your laptop is within the prescribed range...with a normal wireless laptop and the normal short antenna on the WFT I would say the range is probably 150ft... which is still nothing to sneeze at...

Most reactions

Back