Wished they make an all-rounded bag

Vince.1551

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I chose to use a sling-type of camera bag because it's easy for me to change my lenses on the go. However I'll love to have a backpack that helps carry all the weight.

However, with a backpack camera bag it's difficult to change lenses as in I've to remove the bag, lay it on the ground and then change my lens. This perfectly fine of the ground is relatively clean but if it's muddy and slimy it's gonna be a problem. Worst of all you gotta lay your backpack on the ground with the part/area that's gonna go on the back of your shirt later.

Imagine laying it on muddy ground to change lens and then carrying the backpack on your back again ...

Seriously is there a hybrid out there where you could shoulder-sling it when needed and then use it as a backpack ???

And this bag needs to hold lots of gears !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you looked at the Lowepro Flipsides? It is a backpack that opens on the side that faces your back. It also has a waist strap that is supposed to allow you to turn the bag around at your waist to access the inside without taking it all the way off. There are 2 different base "models" and 7 sizes total. I don't have experience with the bag yet but it is at the top of my list of possible bag choices.

The practical side of flipsides is taking the back off and putting it on the ground, whilst keeping the bit facing your back clean. I've seen some people try opening them on the waist band - it sort of works if you've a really light setup and almost nothing in the bag - once you start adding weight in there it becomes somewhat impractical and its just easier and quicker to take it off.

Honestly if you're travelling and need to hold a lot of gear you've a few options:

1) Backpack - yeah its got limitations, but its the best way to distribute the weight over your body. A bag with a good waist strap (this must be thick and padded - ones without padding are almost useless because you can't put any meaningful weight onto the band unless you're wearing very thick clothes) will see you a lot of miles carrying your gear. Yeah slower to get into and sometimes the ground might be muddy or wet; but eh if the ground is muddy chances are its wet so you're in your waterproofs so a bit of mud won't hurt.

2) Photographers Vest - these can hold a surprising amount of content and also distribute weight just as well as a backpack. They can also work nice in tandem with a backpack - letting you have access to flash or couple of smaller lenses as well as accessories whilst leaving bigger, heavier stuff in the bag. A good vest can cost as much as good bag, but they are worth it.
Check out The Vest Guy as they make some very good vests; plus you can customise them or even email them and get a totally custom setup made.

?

dolce-gabbana-round-tote-bag-260011.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use a LowePro FastPack 350. I can access the gear without taking the bag off simply by removing one shoulder strap and pulling the bag around. Not as fast as my messenger bag, but easier on the back/shoulders. My Vertex 350AW has a cover that zips up over the straps to keep them clean. ;) Of course, that's the kind of bag you take when you are going to be "setting up shop" in the woods or somewhere for a while.

Another option you can look at would be the Mindshift bags. Their camera pouch slides out of the side of the bag proper and around your waist when you need to access it.
MindShift Gear - Outdoor Camera Bags, Camera Backpacks, Photo Gear

Thanks guys I've looked at the bags it's still difficult to change lenses if I could only access certain parts of the bags and it won't work for longer lenses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back