Witch flash should I get?

I've got a couple of old Sunpak 500-series and a Metz 45 CL-4, all can be had cheaply from Craig's List, and have a LOT of oomph - I've never actually tried to kill the sun with them, but I think at full power I probably could. I'd try, but I'm on the Wet Coast, and we probably won't see the sun again 'til May.

I need 3 flashes for shooting in the field. Must be able to kill the sun.

And.....go!

Canon/Nikon (can't remember which you shoot)
If you want auto flash functionality:

Go for one of their top range and two midrange flashes for support. That should give you a master and two slave flashes (though nikon also have their build in master flash on camera as well to consider). If you are feeling richer you can go for all three being top range flashes

If you only want/need manual power control you can consider a wide range of 3rd party alternatives and I'll let others recomend various models of flash.

Also remember you'll have to have some way to control all the flashes together. For canon (the system I know) there is a commander module, but sadly all the canon remote flash control is done through infra red - which seriously limits positioning of the flash units.

Personally I would say go for a set of pocket wizards of the M2 variety as that gives you a faster sync speed and auto flash shooting abilities with either nikon or canon flashes.
The older original model pocket wizards however will be perfectly fine for regular manual power output shooting.

In addition on the budget line you can consider radio poppers or cactus triggers as alternatives to the pocket wizards.

I recommend the radio setups because it really frees how and where you position the flashheads, rather than the infra red or flash signals options which will limit you more so. In addition wired setups are possible, but that can be a messy thing, especially if you are not working in a studio (where you can at least run tape over the cords to keep them from being tripped over).

First off--what camera are you using? Are you looking at a specific brand? Does it matter if the flash is the same brand as your camera, or is an off-brand going to be alright? Lots of things to consider before I can give you an answer ;)

what's your budget?

Good question. About $2,500.

You sure you're looking at flashes and not a remote strobe setup? I'm not that clued into studio strobe lighting, but I would imagine a 3 light setup could be afforded with that amount (probably with softboxes/umbrellas as well) though you would also have to factor in mobile power if you're working outside.

*ps considering all your strobist shots in the past I think you know the answers already ;) *

I need 3 flashes for shooting in the field. Must be able to kill the sun.

And.....go!

Canon/Nikon (can't remember which you shoot)
If you want auto flash functionality:

Go for one of their top range and two midrange flashes for support. That should give you a master and two slave flashes (though nikon also have their build in master flash on camera as well to consider). If you are feeling richer you can go for all three being top range flashes

If you only want/need manual power control you can consider a wide range of 3rd party alternatives and I'll let others recomend various models of flash.

Also remember you'll have to have some way to control all the flashes together. For canon (the system I know) there is a commander module, but sadly all the canon remote flash control is done through infra red - which seriously limits positioning of the flash units.

Personally I would say go for a set of pocket wizards of the M2 variety as that gives you a faster sync speed and auto flash shooting abilities with either nikon or canon flashes.
The older original model pocket wizards however will be perfectly fine for regular manual power output shooting.

In addition on the budget line you can consider radio poppers or cactus triggers as alternatives to the pocket wizards.

I recommend the radio setups because it really frees how and where you position the flashheads, rather than the infra red or flash signals options which will limit you more so. In addition wired setups are possible, but that can be a messy thing, especially if you are not working in a studio (where you can at least run tape over the cords to keep them from being tripped over).

What I currently own:
580EX II
2x 430EX II
2x Vivitar 285HV
Alien Bee B800
Alien Bee ABR800
5x Pocket Wizard PII's

First off--what camera are you using? Are you looking at a specific brand? Does it matter if the flash is the same brand as your camera, or is an off-brand going to be alright? Lots of things to consider before I can give you an answer ;)

5D MKII. Not necessarily. I've been looking at Speedotron, Elinchrom, and maybe even Alien Bees. Really thought, what's in my budget and works for what ever application I want to use them for will be the brand I go with. I don't believe Canon makes any flashes that will fit my needs.

what's your budget?

Good question. About $2,500.

You sure you're looking at flashes and not a remote strobe setup? I'm not that clued into studio strobe lighting, but I would imagine a 3 light setup could be afforded with that amount (probably with softboxes/umbrellas as well) though you would also have to factor in mobile power if you're working outside.

*ps considering all your strobist shots in the past I think you know the answers already ;) *

flash = strobe, strobe = flash. It's symatics really.

Your PS is incorrect. My budget doesn't allow for what I'd like to purchase right now.

What I currently own:
580EX II
2x 430EX II
2x Vivitar 285HV
Alien Bee B800
Alien Bee ABR800
5x Pocket Wizard PII's

:lol: at least I now know if I ever want to go for a more "studio" setup I'm thinking along the right lines!

Your PS is incorrect. My budget doesn't allow for what I'd like to purchase right now.

True, but I like to consider strobes more as the larger studio lighting units and reserve the name flash more for the speedlite sized flashes.
If strobist blog can make such a big impact all I need do is keep on with my stance and eventually hope that it slips into common photographer parlance. :mrgreen:

ps for those reading - the other way to overpower the sun is to reduce the power of the sun itself upon your subject. A good way for this is a 5 in 1 reflector - where one if its 5 options is a semiclear diffusion layer. Letting you put it between sun and subject to lessen the light intensity.

What I currently own:
580EX II
2x 430EX II
2x Vivitar 285HV
Alien Bee B800
Alien Bee ABR800
5x Pocket Wizard PII's

:lol: at least I now know if I ever want to go for a more "studio" setup I'm thinking along the right lines!

True, but I like to consider strobes more as the larger studio lighting units and reserve the name flash more for the speedlite sized flashes.
If strobist blog can make such a big impact all I need do is keep on with my stance and eventually hope that it slips into common photographer parlance. :mrgreen:

ps for those reading - the other way to overpower the sun is to reduce the power of the sun itself upon your subject. A good way for this is a 5 in 1 reflector - where one if its 5 options is a semiclear diffusion layer. Letting you put it between sun and subject to lessen the light intensity.

The Strobist blog is about using small off camera lighting.

True, but depending on how much area your using, makes it an option for smaller subject only.

No one wants to know what I want to use my setup for?

Original post says I need 3 lights. Deadly srs. :meh:

Well I didn't know you had all those strobes and speedlites already.

My impression was that you wanted to get 3 speedlites to create enough power for 1 strobe or something. Anyway I guess I won't be much help on this. I guess a little more details on what you're doing would help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back