With the regulations, is a drone even worth it?

Destin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’ve been considering picking up a DJI Mavic Pro to capture new angles of landscapes, sports, etc.

But the more I research it the more it seems like there is so much red tape regarding the use of drones that it’s not even worth the hassle. I live in rural NY, where drones are banned in all state parks. Almost every scenic area near me has rules and regulations against drone use.

Any opinions on this guys? Is it really as bad as it seems?

Have you ever thought of low tech. Helium filled balloons, attached to the monofiliment line of a fishing rod. No restrictions that I know of. Low cosr

Have you ever thought of low tech. Helium filled balloons, attached to the monofiliment line of a fishing rod. No restrictions that I know of. Low cosr

NYS parks don’t even allow you to fly a kite without a permit. I’m sure they’d have a problem with it still.

NYS parks don’t even allow you to fly a kite without a permit. I’m sure they’d have a problem with it still.

Birthday balloons with long strings:anonymous:

Get a permit?

Is it cost prohibitive or time?

FAQ as I read it you aren't required to register unless you are using it for commercial purposes or it exceeds the weight limit

FAQ as I read it you aren't required to register unless you are using it for commercial purposes or it exceeds the weight limit

Yeah but I own a photography business. They’re automatically going to call it commercial based on that if it gets questioned I’m sure.

I own a photography business

Maybe, maybe not. I own a truck that exceeds the weight limits for a CDL requirement. I hold a Class A CDL but until I put a load on that truck for hire, none of the FMCSA rules apply to me. I suspect the same applies here. However if you want to do it commercially I would check into the liability insurance requirements. That may be the killer

I think most have to be registered, regardless if it's for commercial use, or not. Commercial use, IIRC, requires a license to fly it (like a downgraded pilot license). Should be some info at FAA.

As registration goes, they changed it - non-commercial users won't need to any more (not that it was that big a deal, really). But to use it for commercial use, you do. Again, it's not exactly a big deal to do so.

Americans no longer have to register non-commercial drones with the FAA

Also, the commercial aspect has changed for the laws as well. It USED to be you needed to be licensed and all that, but they've changed it for small business usage, video and photography included. More here:

Drone law: How new rules and evolving tech are changing the path of UAVs in construction

I have a Yuneec Q500 4K myself that I got last year. This summer, we took a car cruise to Sampson state park, and I flew it for about 10-15 minutes around the grouping, and no one said a word or batted an eye to me about it. Likely because it was a controlled setting, it wasn't like I was harassing other patrons or wildlife, and where we were in the park, was pretty secluded. If you were flying it over populated sections, I would expect they might make an issue of it. But that's been the case for a while, that you aren't supposed to fly over gatherings. Also, one of the common parks that they talk about is Taughannock (went there today actually for a hike). One thing that I did notice, and hadn't thought about, is the proximity of Ithaca and areas to the airport. Maybe that has something to do with that park being more restrictive in cracking down.

As far as the rest though, I still find it very worth having my quad. I'm heading back to NC soon, and there's just no way to get the incredible aerial shots over the mountains without one. Yes there are still some restrictions but there are still a lot of places and opportunities for it, especially in rural areas.

Selling prints is editorial, not commercial.

State park regulations aren't FAA regs and may be more about preserving the tranquility of the parks than being about commercial purposes for flying a drone in the state park.
It would suck to be in a state park that has as many drones flying around as birds flying around.

The FAA does not see it that way! If your using a drone for pay. No matter if you take a picture or not. Or make a print or give a digital file. It requires a commercial drone license! It's the act of using the drone itself and money exchaning hands.

The FAA does not see it that way! If your using a drone for pay. No matter if you take a picture or not. Or make a print or give a digital file. It requires a commercial drone license! It's the act of using the drone itself and money exchaning hands.

It doesn't even have to be money. Bartering for something is considered commercial (including 'recognition'). Even if you receive a handful of belly button lint for a drone image, you're considered 'paid'.

Most reactions

Back