Woke up with a hangover and crabs

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lack of sleep and a hangover left me feeling less than energetic today, our kids arrived home today with a bucket each full of sand, saltwater and tiny crabs.

Thought I would try a "studio" (my kitchen bench) shoot with one of the little crabs.

5088756830_8cfefbc7d0_b.jpg

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

thats awesome,i remember going to the beach and catching these little guys, i really cant say anything bad about this. which lens did you use for this?

thats awesome,i remember going to the beach and catching these little guys, i really cant say anything bad about this. which lens did you use for this?

Thanks iPhoto, I used my 300mm prime for this set at f/9, with macro extension rings (all of them), lets me keep the camera and tripod well away from the subject, lens itself needs 2.5m at closest focus distance, with the rings it was more like 1.5m, which gives plenty of room to work.

I suspect I get a greater dof for a given aperture compared with say using a 50mm prime and stopped right down to get the same dof, which of course means much less light gets to the sensor, a suspicion I have yet to prove.

Thanks iPhoto, I used my 300mm prime for this set at f/9, with macro extension rings (all of them), lets me keep the camera and tripod well away from the subject, lens itself needs 2.5m at closest focus distance, with the rings it was more like 1.5m, which gives plenty of room to work.

I suspect I get a greater dof for a given aperture compared with say using a 50mm prime and stopped right down to get the same dof, which of course means much less light gets to the sensor, a suspicion I have yet to prove.
DOF is nice, the zoom looks like your right on top of the crab with a real macro lens and not a zoom macro, ive been trying to decide whether or not to buy a real macro or get a zoom that zooms in to the point that it looks macro like you just did with this crab photo.

when i start making some real money instead of this whole part time gig i got goin ill definitely go for a new lens

Im in the same boat, I'd love to get a true macro lens, but I need some other lenses first, so i just make do with what I have.

I probably should have bought the focus a touch forward in this one. The front claws are right on the edge of being acceptable I think.

Im in the same boat, I'd love to get a true macro lens, but I need some other lenses first, so i just make do with what I have.

I probably should have bought the focus a touch forward in this one. The front claws are right on the edge of being acceptable I think.
your definitely making do with what you have now, i can always take out my old SLR and use my 200mm if i have to, and can i get a macro extension ring for SLR lenses?

Lack of sleep and a hangover left me feeling less than energetic today, our kids arrived home today with a bucket each full of sand, saltwater and tiny crabs.

Thought I would try a "studio" (my kitchen bench) shoot with one of the little crabs.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

VERY nice. But just a thought... what if you adjusted the white balance a bit?

Nice edit busrider, have since edited to match your version, thanks. :thumbup:

... get a zoom that zooms in to the point that it looks macro like you just did with this crab photo.

That is not how RobNZ describes how he took the shot. He used a fixed focal length lens, in this case a 300 mm telephoto, not a zoom, and used extension rings between the lens and the camera. I don't know if his have any aperture and focus linkages, a lot of them don't. (RobNZ, please correct if I'm wrong. Nice photo by the way.)

I would prefer the focus on the eyes rather than the claws I think. Did you try both?

Yep I did Ron, focus is on the eyes, claws were not far in front of the eyes and are borderline, could have pulled the focus slightly forward had both in by the looks of the depth of focus behind the eyes.

... get a zoom that zooms in to the point that it looks macro like you just did with this crab photo.

That is not how RobNZ describes how he took the shot. He used a fixed focal length lens, in this case a 300 mm telephoto, not a zoom, and used extension rings between the lens and the camera. I don't know if his have any aperture and focus linkages, a lot of them don't. (RobNZ, please correct if I'm wrong. Nice photo by the way.)

Correct, I set the preset the aperture in aV mode and held the DoF preview button down and disengaged the lens to set, add the extension rings, set focus manually and shot.

mmmm looks tasty. great job.

Thanks, a little too small for a meal, a crunchy snack perhaps ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back