Women Photographers

craig

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
craigblank.com
The loss of the incomparable Fay Godwin sparked this thread. My faves are Dorothea Lange, Bernice Abott, Diane Arbus, Cindy Sherman, Nan Goldin... The list goes on and on. Personally these ladies helped me to see the "HUMAN" side of photography.

There have been, and are, a lot of great photographers who happen to be female. Not as many as one would like (Photography for a long time being male dominated) but things have improved beyond recognition in the past 30 years.
I would point out, though, that this is a discussion thread. Your statement doesn't really give us anything to discuss. Perhaps if you phrased it in the form of a question... ;-)

I was hoping people would spill the women who influenced their work. As a young buck Dorthea Lange was in the handful of photographers that illustrated photography's power to me. By the time I hit college Cindy Shermans "film stills" were the cat's meow. At the time (1986-1990) Nan Goldin was big. At the time I was not falling for it. She did not conform to the technical prowess that was being forced down our throat. On closer reflection I envy the raw emotion of her photos.

All that being said; the discussion is: Women in photography are a dominant force in the field. Why is photography perceived as a male dominant art?

Currently I have only local lady influnces.http://wyoarts.state.wy.us/nARminton.html I am proud to say that I have hung out and attended lectures with MaryAnne Golon photo editor of Time magazine.http://www.24hourscholar.com/p/articles/mi_qa3613/is_200207/ai_n9109423

craig said:
My faves are Dorothea Lange, Bernice Abott, Diane Arbus...

These have been big inflences on me, along with Magaret Bourke White, Imogene Cunnigham, and Sally Mann.

Sally Mann's photos of her children inspired me as I started to get interested in photography, long before I became a father, and contributed to my interest in BW, large format photography, and using vintage cameras. I still think they are some of the most striking portraits I've ever seen in my life.

Someone that I don't really call an influence, but who has set a standard in her field is Annie Liebowitz. I can't really see celeb photos without referencing something she has shot.

Great link Hertz. I had never heard of Jo Spence. Powerful work to say the least. I know way too many cancer survivors and victims. Her work really hits home.

I like Annie Liebowitz work as well Kevin. Her experience with "stars" is incredible. Interesting side note: When I was in college she was always looking for a third assistant. No one would take the job because she was so difficult to work with.

I know of lots of wonderful - but obscure - photographers.
Another favourite of mine is Karena Perronet-Miller. A fabulous, award-winning photographer who was John Swannell's assistant for a number of years. And she's a lovely lady.

Googling will bring up links for both of them.

I only saw three of Karena Perronet-Miller's photos. I enjoyed them and will investigate further. Thanks again and keep em coming.

I (sort of) felt I was stating the obvious with my contributions. I am psyched to investigate further; finding more contemporary artists. I am also psyched on your UK contributoins. Personally I forget that there are artists across the water. I know that sounds bad, but I am stating the truth. The vastness of the World Wide Web never ceases to amaze and educate me.

I wonder why there are not any women contributing to this thread? Speak up ladies!

I don't know any "famous" or "influential" photogs. The only one who ever inspired me was my father. One photo he took with an old box camera. Its of a burning tank car at the railroad depot. You don't see the flames, just the billowing smoke. Something about that photo and the textures just caught me. I've spent my whole life looking to take the equal of that image. The closest I ever got was when I covered a fire downtown for a local paper.

When I read this thread I though immidiately about LaFoto and Meysha... and ok... Mentos too :p:p:p kidding.

Most reactions

Back