Wondering about taking the plunge.

orb9220

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Am having a few people saying I should be selling some of my images. But am hesitant as being on a very limited fixed income and hmmm'ing & hawing if my images are good enough to make mulah.

As $150 dollars yr. is quite the investment for me which is about 3-5 months savings. And been saving for a used Siggy 10-20 to add to my kit or flash or tripod. As only have the Tamron 17-50 and 55-200vr for my used D200.

So it's being a tad hard to decide to hold off adding to my kit or take the plunge with possible fail of time and monies invested. And considering Smugmug or Zenfolio pro accounts.

So any feedback on my images Yes or No I wouldn't or other recommends more experience?/equipment? needed here in thread or private message would be helpful.

Am not trolling for Great Shot! comments or kudo's. But a fair assessment that I may make enough bucks to pay for more gear and not looking to fund the used G5 Gulfstream listed on craigslist for $26 mil.

And any info what realistic income generated from these kind of sites. Would also be appreciated.

Thanks again for those that are willing to share their time & experience in helping me make a decision on this.

Selling prints on-line does not generate much money for most people...it really just does not generate SALES. Selling stock images makes more money. People will pay for digital image files. I dunno...I've seen your street shooting...I think you have some skill and natural talent...HONESTLY, I would try and book some weddings and family reunions and couples engagement gigs at $695 for the weddings and $250 for the reunions/family sessions...this is still very low-end, relative to top-dollar shooters, but is still a lot of profit if done on a for-hire, pay-to-shoot-and-deliver-images-on-disc.

Part of doing business is having confidence.

....sounds to me like you are in need of confidence. It should not take friends telling you how good your work is.

Part of doing business is having confidence.

....sounds to me like you are in need of confidence. It should not take friends telling you how good your work is.

Sorry I didn't know that posting images online for sale required confidence but just effort & money? At this level it's about that only.

Like I mentioned it is about limited finances. And thought that others that have tried it would know by my level of work. Whether it would generate enough cash to make it worth taking a chance. If I had a regular income then would chance it for anything else to give me a true understanding of my works are good enough or not good enough to be sold.

I might be fooling myself and it is about confidence? But appears to me about money. As I have seen true masterful images to people asking monies for images I wouldn't even buy at a yard sale. So I am totally clueless to my expectations on making a bit of cash on the internet.

"I would try and book some weddings and family reunions and couples engagement gigs at $695 for the weddings and $250 for the reunions/family sessions...this is still very low-end, relative to top-dollar shooters, but is still a lot of profit if done on a for-hire, pay-to-shoot-and-deliver-images-on-disc."

Thanks Derrel and have considered that. But having a bum ticker and don't drive would seriously impact going down that road. Also would be needing more gear like flash&tripod,etc.. Tho have done a few for friends on the very cheap as my friends can't afford those kind of prices.

As $150 dollars yr. is quite the investment for me which is about 3-5 months savings.
What does that mean?

I don't know what $150/yr means to you... Is that how much you expect to make, how much you expect to spend, or what?

If you're talking about spending $150 a year, I would hardly call that 'quite the investment'...

At that rate, it would take you about 10 years to build a starter kit...

edit

Sounds like that's what you hope to make...
I haven't seen your work but $150 a year shouldn't be too hard...
Depending on how you price your work, that's like 1 or 2 sales a year... If it's good, you should be able to get more than that on a single sale...

Last edited:
"I don't know what $150/yr means to you."

Means a significant chunk of yearly savings that could be used for other things. Like adding to my very basic kit. But if I can make $200-??? from image sales. Then my camera gear fund would be replenished and possibly more for helping on adding to my basic but still lacking kit. Like Flash,Tripod,Wide angle lens,etc..

I am trying to ascertain from others experience if it worth the risk? Instead of just blindly sinking $150 into it with fingers crossed. And hoping some can look at my work and say Yay they can see some of these images selling or Nay you need to work on developing your skills more. As I am no pro and others that do it for a living can give some helpful insights.

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't clear... Is that what you plan on spending? ...Or ... what?

I assume that's what you hope to make, going by your last post...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Maybe I wasn't clear... Is that what you plan on spending? ...Or ... what?

I assume that's what you hope to make, going by your last post...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

It will cost me $150/yr. for a Pro account to sell prints.

I'm am wondering if my works are good enough to make it worth the try.
So I am wanting to make $250+ a yr in print sales to make it worth the bother. And wondering if most others are making anywhere that kind of monies is all.

Judging by the links in your signature, you shouldn't have much trouble making $250 a year (or much more), depending on how well you market yourself.

Skill is only half the battle... You have to have good people skills, and a good business sense too.

Judging by the links in your signature, you shouldn't have much trouble making $250 a year (or much more), depending on how well you market yourself.

Skill is only half the battle... You have to have good people skills, and a good business sense too.

Thanks for the input. And yep once up will have to find ways to lead people there. As not looking to get rich but some influx of cash to supplement my equipment costs would be nice.

Again thanks for taking the time to look and give your take on it.

You could try stock photography. Doesn't cost a thing.

...depending on how well you market yourself.

It takes more than just having an online gallery at Zenfolio (only $100 a year, I think, and low commision) or somewhere else.

You have to drive people to your online gallery, and that's where the marketing comes in.

Having a regularly updated blog, and a facebook business page helps.

The business part is about setting up your online gallery so it maximizes appeal, and pricing your products effectively.

Zenfolio has a great online lab B2B partner, Mpix.com, that can drop ship client orders. You can set up your Zenfolio account so you can check the clients order for errors before it gets fulfilled.

Thanks all for the Brain food to consider. And yep taking baby steps learning different aspects to making a bit of cash to feed my addiction. Finished Checking them out and leaning towards Zenfolio at the moment.

But phase 2 coming up with in-depth forum readings. Down the line might think about Stock also so thanks for the links on that issue. And comes down to just making a bit of cash to give me more choices in buying gear. And be able to even to cover cost of my own prints to sell or give as gifts would be a major plus at this time.

Most reactions

Back