graecyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.littlelamplight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all!

I recently (about a month ago) got a Nikon D7000 camera. I'm an amateur photographer at best right now, hoping to "go pro" at some point - at the moment, I am just learning all the technicalities of camera operation and practicing practicing practicing. For now - the D7000 camera is great for my needs. However I am wondering one particular thing. I DO plan on buying a pro camera ASAP, to the point where I'm considering selling the D7000 and using that money + my tax refund to purchase the D800 in March when it is released.

So I guess what I really want to know is - do I bite the bullet, sell the D7000 and buy the pro camera? Or do I hang on to the mid-grade one for a bit while I keep up with my learning and practicing?

FYI: I photograph mostly people, food, nature and stationary objects.

Thoughts welcome!

Well considering you have only one lens... and that's the kit lens. You wouldn't want to use that on a D700 or a D800 (ESPECIALLY not the D800).

I think your tax refund should go to some good non-DX lenses, rather than a new camera body that you wouldn't even be able to effectively use with your current lens lineup.

I'm not really worried about having the best lenses right off the bat, or even "using the camera effectively" right away. I can buy new glass in time. I'm more interested in knowing if diving right in to having a pro DSLR is a better idea than hanging on to a mid-grade one.

I'd just hang on to it and practice. Both can produce excellent images if used correctly. You can get some lenses to go with the camera. I'd say a 50 1.8 for the time being and a 70-300. Both will work if you go FX body. I only suggest the 70-300 since its not expensive and is decent. If you needed something extravagant, you'd probably know by now.

graecyn said:
I'm not really worried about having the best lenses right off the bat, or even "using the camera effectively" right away. I can buy new glass in time. I'm more interested in knowing if diving right in to having a pro DSLR is a better idea than hanging on to a mid-grade one.

It's a better camera but with all due respect, a better body will only give you better images if you know what you are doing.

I am telling you... NO. It wouldn't be good! If you got a D700 and used the 18-55mm kit lens on it, you're going to have 6mp images. If you get the D800, you're going to have soft 18mp images. DX lenses only provide an image circle on a full frame sensor, they do not cover the entirety of the 35mm sensor. So unless you shoot in crop frame mode, you'll have EXTREME vignetting around your photos.

With full frame sensors that are demanding of glass capable of creating sharp images at high resolution, you will not gain anything from switching bodies other than ISO performance. The D7000 is no slouch. It has a lot of the same features as the D700 and D800.

You'd literally be getting a Porsche, but having a Yugo engine power the thing. It would be an awful waste of money for you to upgrade with your current one kit lens.

send me the money.

Obviously, I wouldn't be keeping (or using) the kit lens on a pro camera body. Hell, I don't even want to keep or use the kit lens on the D7000. My #1 priority is getting at least 1 quality lens. I might be amatuer, but I'm not stupid. I don't know why you'd assume I'd even attempt using this lens on a D700 or D800. lol

Anyway - thanks. I'm thinking I will buy the D800 regardless and get a few, better lenses.

Obviously, I wouldn't be keeping (or using) the kit lens on a pro camera body. I might be amatuer, but I'm not stupid. I don't know why you'd assume that. lolAnyway - thanks. I'm thinking I will buy the D800 regardless and get a few, better lenses.
Good luck. You can always sell me the d7000 lol.

If you don't mind me asking, what does your d7000 limit you on that the d800 will address?

It's not that it's a limitation. It's more that I'm lazy and don't want to get used to one camera (the mid-grade d7000) knowing that I will inevitably buy a pro-grade one in the future.

I guess it would be a purchase of laziness. I'd rather buy, learn on, and invest in glass for a pro-grade camera more than I would a mid-grade one.

Obviously, I wouldn't be keeping (or using) the kit lens on a pro camera body. Hell, I don't even want to keep or use the kit lens on the D7000. My #1 priority is getting at least 1 quality lens. I might be amatuer, but I'm not stupid. I don't know why you'd assume I'd even attempt using this lens on a D700 or D800. lol

Anyway - thanks. I'm thinking I will buy the D800 regardless and get a few, better lenses.

You don't know why I'd assume you'd use your kit lens on the D800?

Because you didn't mention BUYING any lenses to go with the D800. That's why.

You really need to get your priorities straight. You'd be making a poor decision IMHO. A "pro body" does not a "pro photographer" make.

This is a common misconception among amateurs. They often think, "Why should I stick with my current entry level or mid grade body, when I could buy a PRO BODY OMGLOL and be a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER!?!" I'm not saying that's you, believe me. But we do get a good flow of threads with that same mindset coming through the forum. They don't take into account the lenses that they want to use, or even know what lenses TO use.

Again, I will reiterate. Unless you're going to be buying some SERIOUS glass with your D800, I'd just stick to buying serious glass rather than a new body. The D800 has a 36mp Full Frame sensor. Photographic technique and high end lenses are both paramount when using that camera. It will most likely make your photos look worse than on the D7k IMHO.

What you're failing to understand is that the guts of the camera are the same. You don't need to "learn photography" on a pro camera body. It's going to expose exactly the same way as on your D7k. The shutter speed and aperture wheels are in the same spot. Cosmetically the cameras are pretty similar. You're not gaining a whole lot by moving to a full frame body, especially if you don't even know WHAT you're gaining.

graecyn said:
It's not that it's a limitation. It's more that I'm lazy and don't want to get used to one camera (the mid-grade d7000) knowing that I will inevitably buy a pro-grade one in the future.

The layout wouldn't be that different. You'd run into user errors or limitations before that camera will limit you. There's always new bodies coming out. If money is not an issue, get the best you can afford. Otherwise, don't put all your money into a body if you don't have the funds necessary for lenses to utilize its potential for the sake of being "pro." If that's the case, Nikon will have another lineup of FF bodies by the time you have good glass. Be smart about your choices.

You don't know why I'd assume you'd use your kit lens on the D800?

Because you didn't mention BUYING any lenses to go with the D800. That's why.

You really need to get your priorities straight. You'd be making a poor decision IMHO. A "pro body" does not a "pro photographer" make.

This is a common misconception among amateurs. They often think, "Why should I stick with my current entry level or mid grade body, when I could buy a PRO BODY OMGLOL and be a PROFESSIONAL PHOTOGRAPHER!?!" I'm not saying that's you, believe me. But we do get a good flow of threads with that same mindset coming through the forum. They don't take into account the lenses that they want to use, or even know what lenses TO use.

Again, I will reiterate. Unless you're going to be buying some SERIOUS glass with your D800, I'd just stick to buying serious glass rather than a new body. The D800 has a 36mp Full Frame sensor. Photographic technique and high end lenses are both paramount when using that camera. It will most likely make your photos look worse than on the D7k IMHO.

What you're failing to understand is that the guts of the camera are the same. You don't need to "learn photography" on a pro camera body. It's going to expose exactly the same way as on your D7k. The shutter speed and aperture wheels are in the same spot. Cosmetically the cameras are pretty similar. You're not gaining a whole lot by moving to a full frame body, especially if you don't even know WHAT you're gaining.

Thanks, both for the input and the insults. :) I'll still be buying the D800. Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back