Wooden bowl with unknown object. What do you think?

Senor Hound

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this photo is of a boring subject, but composition or exposure wise, what may you do or not do next time to enhance the photo? I thought it was interesting with the unknown object (I think it pulls horseshoes off of horses), but really I'm just posting it to see what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.

2599321749_22e9f43514_o.jpg

I like it. It might be just a little under exposed.

I think all it needs is a tad more exposure. The grapes kinda get lost in the shadows.

I like it. It might be just a little under exposed.

I think all it needs is a tad more exposure. The grapes kinda get lost in the shadows.

Thank you. On my computer at home, I can see everything, but on the LCD monitor at work, about a third of the photo looks black. I think one of these monitors needs a good old-fashioned calibration. :)

Any tips on composition or anything else would be appreciated. I know the photo is rather generic, but if its possible I'd appreciate it.

It's looking rather teal on my screen. Did you white balance?

Actually that wall behind is a really great backdrop. It has an interesting texture to it.

The picture itself is underexposed... if you open up your photo program and look at your historgram, you can see the lines all bunched up on the left side. If you hit "auto levels" you will see a very different photo.

You did a great job choosing subject and lighting (direction and softness). I think some cropping would help the photo, like eliminating the drawer in the bottom left.. but it's personal preference.

I like that your branching out!

2599321749_22e9f43514_o.jpg

auto levels
curves adjustment
unsharp mask
vingette
color correction (believe there was some red/cyan issues)
sharpen for web

Thanks you guys! I picked it at this restaurant that's a restored home (150 years old), and its filled with cool old-time items. The light was just from the window, and I have to admit that it was by chance that it fell the way it did (I didn't recognize it as being good lighting, if that tells you anything :) ). And I think the white balance was off, cause I was shooting photos around the home, and using a white balance for incandescent. But in this photo, the light is coming from the cloudy sky outside as the lights were turned off in this room. I would guess that to be the problem, though I could be wrong. And Kelly, thank you SO MUCH for taking the time to work with my photo. It helps me see what is supposed to be, you know? In your edit, the wood looks like it was alive at one point! :)

I appreciate everyone's comments. And although most of the positive points were not intentional, they will be next time!

I prefer the original much more.

They look like small tongs for handling blocks of ice.

Best,
Helen

That is exactly what I believe them to be.

----------------------------------

I like the original as it is, yeah the grapes kinda pull a hudini but who needs'em. I like it slightly underexposed and blued.

Cool! Not only did I get good feedback, but I learned what the "mystery object" was! Thanks Helen, Battou, and Sarah!

And I appreciate everyone who is commenting! I'm learning as we speak! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back