Wooden Door, New Foundland, Pa

Rick58

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ran across this wooden door today.
It begged to be photographed. I obliged.
Comment and critique always welcome.

$Wooden Door, New Foundland, Pa.jpg

Nice, sharp picture yet quite "flat" with this "right angle" approach. Texture is a bit weak, weak 3D feel.

I love seeing the contrasting patterns and textures: the stone, the grass, the vertical grain of the door, and then the horizontal grain of the wood above the door. It makes me wish you were much closer because this picture makes me want to reach out and touch the wood, but then again, getting closer means you lose the great details, like the ragged bottom and the latch.

I think this door begs for more than one photograph. I think you should do a series - different angles, some close ups, some playing with focusing on different combos of textures. For example, that top left-hand corner of the door with a bit of the stone and a bit of the wood above the door is one trio. Then there's the opposite corner, when you can have the grass against that broken part of the plank.

Rick, you have a good eye for capturing the feeling and textures of older structures. I like it and keep up the good work.

Thanks folks. Here's a shot straight out of the camera of the entire building with it's seemingly never ending boring sky.
Kind of a strange building sitting alone in a field. One door and the only window is the one shown. Odd.
I snapped a shot of the window square on, but I'm not sure there's interest there other then the textures.
$Temp1.jpg

Last edited:
Is this the same building you photographed in the snow several weeks ago, or a different one? Anyway, you have a variety of interesting structures in your area. Pretty cool.

I am wondering how the original shot would work in color. The B&W makes the wood and stone very similar in tones. The color of the wood might separate it more from the stone, if that makes sense.

Is this the same building you photographed in the snow several weeks ago, or a different one? Anyway, you have a variety of interesting structures in your area. Pretty cool.

I am wondering how the original shot would work in color. The B&W makes the wood and stone very similar in tones. The color of the wood might separate it more from the stone, if that makes sense.

You're right. The tones of the rust, weathered wood and stone do tie together very nicely.
This is a different building that is located in the Pocono Mtn's, near some land that I bought. The others were a pair of twin spring houses located outside of Boyertown, Pa.

I recently purchased a Rolleiflex that I intended to take along as a test, but it was a miserable day. I knew I wouldn't be taking much, so I just grabbed the Nikon.
Ok, Ok, some of that MAY be a bunch of crap. I just REALLY like that new Nikon...:D

Oh, BTW, I did get as far as purchasing a 5 pack of Porta 400 for the Rollei. Good intentions... :) I usually wouldn't use 400 for static scenery / landscape, but that was all they had in stock.

:D This is really "strange" structure in whole. So inconsistent in it's looks. Stone walls look like someone put more effort in them, than it was worth for such a small, utility building on pasture. Roof is a modern sheet metal but I would expect wood. On the end the woodwork looks like century old, older, than the walls. :D
Darn roof is destroying this shack for me as a subject, it takes away that romantic look. But the woodwork and stone walls are fine, what shows your original picture of this thread. Hmm... What can we do...

What makes it stand out even more is this is in the center of modern houses. Someone, for some reason, preserved this little building and field and built all around it. In the gable there is some sort of a closed opening which is also odd being so close to ground level and for such a small area.

Just off to the left of the photo and to the rear is a house that appears to own it. Some day I would like to stop and ask the history behind it.

I love the tones and textures...but I'll bet you could get a lot more out of the wood along the sides...slightly overexposed I think. If you can get it to have the nice silver tones at the top...would tie the image together a little more. Super nice door...a great black and white shot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back