Woohoo 7D came today

I turned it on and can get to 100 but not 50.

I turned it on and can get to 100 but not 50.

Awwwwww .... Oh well, that won't keep me from buying one (my local camera store sold out their 7 in one day ... they have 11 more on order and I am on the list now) , but I was so hoping ....

Oh, and don't get scared if the viewfinder is dark when the camera is off; that's normal.
What?!

Musicale -- after the 450D, most things seem fast. ;)

True, that.

As for the viewfinder, the focus screen is made of a special polymer that becomes completely clear once it has a current running through it. This new polymer screen, when active, is amazingly clear and bright, and allows you to have a viewfinder completely clear of unnecessary clutter (for macro or manual focusing, having a completely clear viewfinder is amazing).

Question for you guys who have your 7D's -- there is some disagreement among sites that I've read ...

When you activate the extended ISO function, can you get ISO 50 or is 100 still the low end?

There's no mention of ISO 50 in the manual, and try as I may, I haven't found a way to enable it. Besides that, what I've read is that it's not a real 50. The camera shoots at ISO 100, metering as if it were 50, an then pulling the image -1 EV. The same can be achieved with RAW, and in either case you'll lose detail in the highlights (which can be mitigated with highlight-tone-priority, but not by much in this scenario).

Hey CX3

Congrats on camera!

I think the high ISO pics look pretty good for an 18MP cropped sensor although I have only ever shot with a 400d so not a huge comparison there.

I know you only have the camera a short time but whats your own gut feeling on its ISO performance when compared against your 40d.

Is it way ahead?

Adorama's site says it's not shipping yet (but I have heard of others who got it from there). I pre-ordered from Amazon early last week and am really hoping I get it before this Friday (for a shoot at 4:00AM on Friday morning).

Adorama is just on back order. They already shipped out their first round of cameras and are waiting on a new shipment. My name is on the list.

Hey Cxthree, it would be awsome if you could take some of the exact same shots with both the 7d and 40d for iso comparison. I think this would help a lot of people. Really the iso performace is just about the same from the 20d to the 50d, with minor improvements in each, it would be nice to see if it's again a minor inprovement or a big leap.

Any of the 7D owners test the video yet?. From the specs I read it sure makes the 5D Mark II video look peeeweee. :lol:

I just got home from the convention and will post more pics to my share.

Some 40D v 7D shots is a good idea. I will try to get that posted tomorrow also.

I preordered it from Adorama on 9/8.

I know. I should have posted a pic of it. Honestly, I popped open the box and started charging it and then started filling out the rebate for the Sandisk Extreme IV cards I got with it.

I will go outside and take a low light shot on my back porch for you and post it soon.

Ha, I preordered mine from Adorama as well & it is supposed to be delivered tomorrow according to UPS.

Hi Everyone,

I uploadesd a lot of images to a gallery on my site. They are all 800ISO or higher 7D images, shot in fairly bad lighting at the magic convention this weekend. Most are 1600 or 3200. I had to go up to ISO 3200 for the night show. Those are the images near the end.

This one gives a good look at a fairly black image with poor lighting at ISO3200.

The rest are here.

Disclaimer: This was a social event for me so I was not shooting photos most of the time. Some were taken properly and others were quick shots that did not come out great. I had limited time between my work at the convention, but I wanted to grab some shots to share and thought the low light performance shots would be a good example.

Anyway. Enjoy the shots.

^^^ Shots look pretty good to me. Thanks for posting. UPS claims mine is on the truck scheduled for delivery today!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back