WooooooHooooooo!!!!

hobbes28 said:
Is 669 the easiest to work with. I still haven't decided if I want to try a lift or a transfer first...or if they're similar enough to try both. :D
Definitely easy to work, with due to its size. Plus right now, it's ALL you're going to work with because of the base you're getting with the Daylab. Most of them ship with the standard 3x4. The beauty is if you do become totally smitten with the process, you can purchase the base and film holder that takes 4x5 sheet film - woOt!

But it's best to start the small, less expensive way. Do you have an art supply store nearby? You'll want to go pick up a large sheet of hot-pressed watercolor paper - I like Arches the best. And you'll need a brayer.

Lifts are probably easier than transfers....involves hot water so keep the boys back. How much do you know about the processes?

I know what I've read so far on the Polaroid site. The picture actually looked like it had the 8x10 base on it but that could've been a stock photo. I guess I'll find out in 4.12365487688721125469846581321054780576 hours and counting.

Lifts are totally fun, I just felt I had to say that :lol: the first time can be stressful cos sometimes the emulsion will ball up, but after a couple of times doing it you get used to the process and then it turns into tons of fun :D

I ended up not being able to find where I put that darn brayer (I think its still in a box I havent unpacked) so I used the squeegie to go over my transfers the other day :shock: Im suprised it worked. I bought bunch of old slides from a garage sale, some of them are kinda neat so I had a go with them.

So Tammy, you comin' over to the P-team huh ;)

I GOTTA get into these lifts/transfers.. the ones you guys all sent in the exchange were too cool!

Can someone explain the difference between a lift and a transfer to me?

And do I really need to buy one of the "sets" they sell to be able to do it or can I just go get the stuff individually somewhere?

You can buy the set and know you have everything at hand; or you can save maybe ten bucks by going around and buying the stuff individually.

Kylie: the "lift" is when you heat a completely developed Polaroid print in water till the emulsion loosens and is "lifted" and placed on a different receptor, usually artist's paper. You can use other things, and Karalee has done tile which sounds really cool.

An image transfer is when you prematurely peel apart the film after exposure (10-15 seconds) - toss the print, take the negative and press it onto a receptor - again, usually artist's paper. That's what you need the brayer for, to apply some pressure and roll in all directions.

Karalee said:
And for visuals you can look at Terri's image transfer your a proud owner of :lol:. Lifts are what both DIRT and I did.
Oh yeah - you do have those now - Kara's a smart cookie. ;)

Keep in mind the transfer I did is an exceptionally runny one due to film type (Polacolor/type 79) not usually used for this technique.

Your results will be - neater. :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back