Wordpress Gallery Plugin

SCraig

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
sc-photo-tn.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I couldn't decide where to post this since it doesn't really fit into any of the categories. If a moderator feels that it is in the wrong area please feel free to move it.

I'm setting up a new web site using Wordpress and I can't find a photo gallery plugin that I like. It's set up with the NextGen plugin right now but I don't like how it's handling the mix of landscape and portrait thumbnails. Or it could just be the way I have it configured. I've tried a couple of others, Galleria Galleria, and WP Photo, I think, and didn't really like them for one reason or another.

Does anyone have any suggestions of good gallery plugins for Wordpress? I don't object to paying for one if necessary as long as it will do a decent job. I'm not looking for anything really out of the ordinary, at least I don't think I am. I'd just like one of the generic galleries that shows the first photo at whatever size I tell it (probably 320 by xx) and a "Filmstrip" sort of list of thumbnails beneath that can be clicked to show a specific image and scrolled left or right for more thumbnails.

I've seen dozens of them on sites but now that I'm trying to find one I can't. I guess that's par for the course though.

Any help would be appreciated.

I use NextGen myself and have little problems.
My thumbnails are all fixed size though so they only show parts of my portaits.
NextGen allows to edit the thumbnail though so I can make sure the focus of the image is in the thumbnail.
I'm very pleased with it, but it might not be your favorite.
I haven't really found a lot of other good gallery plugins though.

I use NextGen myself and have little problems.
My thumbnails are all fixed size though so they only show parts of my portaits.
NextGen allows to edit the thumbnail though so I can make sure the focus of the image is in the thumbnail.
I'm very pleased with it, but it might not be your favorite.
I haven't really found a lot of other good gallery plugins though.

That's a good point. I set NextGen so that the icons are not the same size since I didn't like the way it was chopping up the portrait thumbnails. I didn't think about editing them so that the parts I want to be visible would be in landscape mode. I may give that a try if nothing else surfaces.

Thanks for the help.

I went through about 20 plugins with wordpress for a gallery... The reason I decided to use a plugin is because I really like my theme... However, no plugin did what I wanted it to do and no matter how I modified it nothing worked for me.. I ended up just changing my theme to one that supported a gallery already.. There are tons of awesome themes that support galleries.. Let me know if you need any help.. I buy, build, and sell wordpress based websites as a side job... You can check out my personal site (a work in progress still) in my signature below... The theme I am using I am able to set a slideshow basically of image for the homepage background.. I can set how long each image is displayed.. I also have a very nice gallery and portfolio feature.. I am working on creating those soon..

FYI Lightroom 3 in the "web" module offers a host of HTML and Flash galleries precanned, flexible, and ready. You can DL a free functional trial version for 30 days version.

Many have told me they link from their wordpress page to smug-mug.

I went through about 20 plugins with wordpress for a gallery... The reason I decided to use a plugin is because I really like my theme... However, no plugin did what I wanted it to do and no matter how I modified it nothing worked for me.. I ended up just changing my theme to one that supported a gallery already.. There are tons of awesome themes that support galleries.. Let me know if you need any help.. I buy, build, and sell wordpress based websites as a side job... You can check out my personal site (a work in progress still) in my signature below... The theme I am using I am able to set a slideshow basically of image for the homepage background.. I can set how long each image is displayed.. I also have a very nice gallery and portfolio feature.. I am working on creating those soon..
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at right now. I "Like" the theme I'm presently using but I'm not 100% sold on it. I like simple and clean and this one fits that bill. I looked at some of the pure gallery themes and while they were OK I didn't really find one that spoke to me. Admittedly I didn't spend a lot of time looking but I did try several. Love your site though, you've gone a good job on it.

FYI Lightroom 3 in the "web" module offers a host of HTML and Flash galleries precanned, flexible, and ready. You can DL a free functional trial version for 30 days version.

Many have told me they link from their wordpress page to smug-mug.
Thanks. I've actually got the LR3 download from a few weeks ago. It might not run again since I've already installed it once and it probably left tracks behind in the registry.

Getting the files onto the site and in a gallery in and of itself is pretty simple regardless of what plugin is used, it's just the format of them when they are in operation I don't really like.

I've barely gotten it started, a few pages are up but even those are a long way from finished. I just play with it as I have time and will get it finished one of these days. If you want to take a look it's at Scott Craig – Tennessee In Photographs. The stupid slide show on the main page doesn't always start and when it does some of the photos are just ugly. I've got to wade through them since I just threw a bunch out there for the slideshow to have something to use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back