Words of Advice Would be Appreciated

SilverEF88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I think I can make decent images, but when it comes time to frame I get lost in the thousands of colors of mat and frames. My professor swears by brown frames and a cream colored mat. Not quite me though. What I think would look best is a simple black frame and a white mat. All the pictures that I am framing are B&W, 16" square +, and all created analog. If anyone would share what they have found to work the best I would appreciate the feedback. Thank you.

What I want / like / prefer / suggest isn't relevant as the image isn't going to be hanging on my wall.

Right but with all interior design/color combo-oh god the through pillows totally clash with the curtains...aside, what I was wondering is what frame/mat combo people felt looked best with a B&W image.

I like simple black frame/white mat for most things, color or bw. It certainly can't clash with any of your interior colors.

I think white mats compete very strongly with the image they surround. To me, a light to medium gray colored mat is superior,and seems to make colors "pop!" and makes B&W images look pretty good too. Frames can be anything.

I agree with Derrel.

My better half, a professional framer, says it's best to mat and frame to the art, not the room.
Some interior decorators don't. The rule is, the room could change, the art will not.

Thanks, I will definitely look at the gray colored mats. I would spend so much time on the print and then walk in to pick out some mat and be stumped. Now maybe I will be able to have a basis to go with.

I just wanted to add this additional thought: I believe that a mat should have 50% more space at the bottom edge of the image than at the sides and top, with a spacing of 1:1:1: 1.5 units being about ideal. If the aperture in the mat is perfectly symmetrical the image just doesn't seem to be "on display" to the same degree as when there is a 50% larger border below the image, lending it a subtle visual support,or what I call a "visual anchor". The difference is also visible in on-line or "digital" matting and hairline framing/bordering, as in this example: IMGP3113web-reboxed.JPG photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

Never thought about that but after seeing the example it does "feel" a lot better. Thanks, I feel a lot more comfortable about going in and choosing my mats and frames now.

I just wanted to add this additional thought: I believe that a mat should have 50% more space at the bottom edge of the image than at the sides and top, with a spacing of 1:1:1: 1.5 units being about ideal. If the aperture in the mat is perfectly symmetrical the image just doesn't seem to be "on display" to the same degree as when there is a 50% larger border below the image, lending it a subtle visual support,or what I call a "visual anchor". The difference is also visible in on-line or "digital" matting and hairline framing/bordering, as in this example: IMGP3113web-reboxed.JPG photo - Derrel photos at pbase.com

You know, I was taught that in high school art class, but I never noticed anyone to do that in photo club for competitions. Ima gonna pay closer attention.

I also just asked my better half and yes mats are always cut with 1/4 to 1/2 inch more on the bottom.

Try a few, pick the best. You decide.

Most reactions

Back