Work in progress . (scannography)

shorty6049

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
so i finally got around to trying scanner photography today and its kinda fun! i have here a work in progress, (still have some touching up to do and stuff) but what do you think of it so far?

workinprogressflowerscoyf5.jpg

Do I understand you right?
You picked all those leaves and blossoms, and put them onto the scanner (upside down to the eyes, I would assume) to have the scanner "take the photo" merely by doing its job, i.e. by scanning what was put on it?

What a cool idea!
And what is the post-scanning work you have to do then?
Please explain more.

yeah, thats the main concept. i read about it in pop. photo magazine. you use a flatbed scanner, make sure the room is reasonably dark, and then lay out whatever you want to "photograph" then scan it. post processing kind of depends on how good the scanner is i guess. I believe my scanner i used has specks and stuff on the inside of the glass that all show up when i scan so i have to use the healing brush to get rid of them. i also created a layer in PS thats all black and i'm just erasing the areas between the leaves so that it will be a smoother black than it is right now. but thats about all i did, and if you arent really planning on doing much with it, you could probably do without erasing and all that. any other questions , just ask! thanks for your comment

i think it's a bit of a weird concept at first....but now i think it's actually really cool! i think if i can think up something good! lol...that's REALLY cool..nice work!

Jeff

thanks, heres the final copy!
I'm posting it small and big because that way you can see the detail. hope thats ok!

finalflowersxzq8.jpg

finalflowersxii3.jpg

k, last call for comments, then i'm leaving this thread alone to get buried in the pile of photos

Idea: add a new scannography-image to the first, one of your newer productions. I am curious to see some more!

so far this is the only one i've done, but maybe i'll try to do some more to spark some interest or something

Yes, you should!
I never get the room where there is my scanner all dark (not in June, maybe in December), so I feel I cannot really test your "new technique" here myself, but you have certainly sparked some interest.

Would it also scan in faces (given any "face" could deal with the light!?!?)? I could try that out with a doll or something ... though I understand things must be all on the very same level to be in focus, right? So maybe something very three-dimensional does not get scanned well?

well, you can do 3d objects, but i think the brightness falls off before the focus. your face can deal with the light from any scanner as far as i know, because they usually just use a florescent tube. I've scanned my face before but they usually dont turn out all that great just because the light isnt all that flattering and its hard to keep your head still. if you do a google search on scanner photography or scannography, you should be able to see what else is possible.

Will do :D
And use a doll or soft toy and not MY face (these days I would hate to see ANYTHING unflattering taken of me!!!! Time is less and less flattering, anyway, I need not force things :greenpbl: )!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back