Worked with new lighting equipment and a makeup artist

Foxx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got my first softbox and umbrella for christmas this year. Also made a DIY ring light. I think the results of which were excellent :mrgreen:

I had the chance to collaborate with an amateur makeup artist too and got a model friend of mine in on the project. Looking for feedback on these shots. Let me know what you think!!

hello_by_matthewfoxxphotos-d5pgcx8.jpg

i_see_you_by_matthewfoxxphotos-d5pgdhc.jpg

what_do_you_see__by_matthewfoxxphotos-d5pgdr3.jpg

watch_me_by_matthewfoxxphotos-d5pge3s.jpg

cold_ears_by_matthewfoxxphotos-d5pgeu7.jpg

I think the photographer did better than the MUA :). Not digging the make up. I think the catch light is too centered... unless that is the look you were looking for.

I like #3 the most out of the shots shown (the close-up shot of her face). I am not overly fond of these mostly because the camera is so,so CLOSE to her that her features show obvious distortion. Looks like tyou shot these with a 50mm lens from way,way too close. The relative size of her facial feayures is oddly distorted, due to the working distance. The makeup is, uh, "trippy", I guess is one word. "different" is another word. The dark-dot-inside-circel-of-light ringlight catchlight signature, and the nearly shadowless light it gives is, uh, what it is...

The woman in the lasat shot looks...weird...her chin is so,so pointy! And her skin looks blotchy and magenta-ish.

I dunno...these are definitely NOT your father's pictures!!!! These are definitely "different", and they do give the viewer pause.

I like #3 the most out of the shots shown (the close-up shot of her face). I am not overly fond of these mostly because the camera is so,so CLOSE to her that her features show obvious distortion. Looks like tyou shot these with a 50mm lens from way,way too close. The relative size of her facial feayures is oddly distorted, due to the working distance. The makeup is, uh, "trippy", I guess is one word. "different" is another word. The dark-dot-inside-circel-of-light ringlight catchlight signature, and the nearly shadowless light it gives is, uh, what it is...

I dunno...these are definitely NOT your father's pictures!!!! These are definitely "different", and they do give the viewer pause.

Actually I shot all of these with my kit lens(18-55). most were on the wide end(18-30mm). Maybe it was the angle I was shooting her from that gives the wierd proportions? TBH I don't really see what you're talking about...

And is the catch-light that distracting? I know it's somewhat gimmicky but I thought it worked really well for the shoot. Also yes, the makeup was supposed to be wild. This shoot was for the makeup artist to showcase her ideas.

Will have some more photos up today...

I'll be blunt. The make up is really, really bad. I rather like the composition of 3, but the makeup, being that it is what is being showcased really ruins the image.

Foxx.... Wide Angle FLs can cause barrel distortion.. anything under 50mm can be very noticeable. Even a 50mm will do it if you are too close.

Look at the nose in #1.. it is probably not that big in real life. The makeup even appears to accentuate the issue...

How close were you in most of these shots?

These just aren't working for me. I can see all of the models blemishes and when working with a MUA, you should have a flawless face. You have got some really strong color casts on these, so maybe if the WB was fixed I could see through the blue. I would go into PS and do some touching up on the blemishes and fix the WB. Then you might be on to something.

Is it stage make up meant to be viewed from a distance? I like the concept and design a lot but the execution is too scruffy to be used for photo make up unless you are going to spend hours in pp. #3 and #4 are the best but there are make up smudges in places which spoil the overall effect.

I'm very cautious of make-up artists; I have limited portrait experience but in the three cases where my subjects used a make up artist they were all disappointed with the results. My last subject said that her makeup (which cost her as much as my portrait session) made her look "like a raddled old tart."

I'm with the crew who don't go for ring flash catchlights.

I'll be blunt. The make up is really, really bad. I rather like the composition of 3, but the makeup, being that it is what is being showcased really ruins the image.

These just aren't working for me. I can see all of the models blemishes and when working with a MUA, you should have a flawless face. You have got some really strong color casts on these, so maybe if the WB was fixed I could see through the blue. I would go into PS and do some touching up on the blemishes and fix the WB. Then you might be on to something.

Okay, so I probably didn't do as good a job in PP spotting out her blemishes. The MUA also is not a professional, she's just starting out so I can understand why flaws are more apparent.(this wasn't paid, mostly for fun on both our parts). But what is so wrong with the actual makeup? I'm no fashion photographer and, quite honestly, I know just about zero when it comes to stage makeup. I'm asking not in defense of, I really want to know what can be improved here so I can pass on the feedback.

Foxx.... Wide Angle FLs can cause barrel distortion.. anything under 50mm can be very noticeable. Even a 50mm will do it if you are too close.

Look at the nose in #1.. it is probably not that big in real life. The makeup even appears to accentuate the issue...

How close were you in most of these shots?

I can see what you mean now. For the ringlight shots my guess is less than 2 feet, the umbrella shots were farther out but not by much. What should I do to avoid this? I have a 28-135mm -- would shooting at a longer focal length fix this?

I can see what you mean now. For the ringlight shots my guess is less than 2 feet, the umbrella shots were farther out but not by much. What should I do to avoid this? I have a 28-135mm -- would shooting at a longer focal length fix this?

Typically, unless you WANT the distortion, stick to 50mm or above. You can use wide angles, but you need more distance to prevent the barrel distortion... and that makes for smaller subjects. These kinds of shots, I would have probably used my 85mm and mixed it up with my 70-200... shooting full frame! Crop Sensor? Play with it and see.

Just keep in mind, that while you get basically a 50mm field of view with a 35mm (as an example) on a Crop sensor, you are still going to get 35mm style distortion, that doesn't change.

Just keep in mind, that while you get basically a 50mm field of view with a 35mm (as an example) on a Crop sensor, you are still going to get 35mm style distortion, that doesn't change.

You are mistaken Charlie. I was thinking the same too a while back but I was wrong. A 35 mm on a crop sensor will produce identical distortion as 50 mm on full frame (52.5 mm to be exact for 1.5 crop factor).

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/288250-fov-crop-ff.html

You are mistaken Charlie. I was thinking the same too a while back but I was wrong. A 35 mm on a crop sensor will produce identical distortion as 50 mm on full frame (52.5 mm to be exact for 1.5 crop factor).

How far away were you from the shutters? Distance matters.... for barrel distortion... and that was my point.

How far away were you from the shutters? Distance matters.... for barrel distortion... and that was my point.

Doesnt matter. Both shots are from the same distance. I would get the same result if I get closer. Test it your self.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back