Worked with new lighting equipment and a makeup artist

RE: the makeup, it's smudgy and messy. The feathers combined with eye shadow with the lip stick and the mismatched earrings... it's too much. Messy make up is very much "in" but it's usually concentrated to one area. There's so much going on that it's hard to look at. Perhaps sticking to highlighting on feature, say eyes, lips or overall facial structure would produce a less distracting image.

You are mistaken Charlie. I was thinking the same too a while back but I was wrong. A 35 mm on a crop sensor will produce identical distortion as 50 mm on full frame (52.5 mm to be exact for 1.5 crop factor).

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/beyond-basics/288250-fov-crop-ff.html

How far away were you from the shutters? Distance matters.... for barrel distortion... and that was my point.

Doesnt matter. Both shots are from the same distance. I would get the same result if I get closer. Test it your self.

On distortion or FOV? I agree FOV would be the same.. distortion will not be.

How far away were you from the shutters? Distance matters.... for barrel distortion... and that was my point.

Doesnt matter. Both shots are from the same distance. I would get the same result if I get closer. Test it your self.

So you are arguing that if someone shoots with 35mm w/ D7000 crop sensor vs 50mm w/ D800, the D7000 will show more distortion? It is not. The D7000 will be identical to the D800. The extreme distortion you are seeing will be clipped on the sides by the cropped sensor. Remember, they are both will be shot from the same distance to produce the same framing. The distortion will be the same.

So you are arguing that if someone shoots with 35mm w/ D7000 crop sensor vs 50mm w/ D800, the D7000 will show more distortion? It is not. The D7000 will be identical to the D800. The extreme distortion you are seeing will be clipped on the sides by the cropped sensor. Remember, they are both will be shot from the same distance to produce the same framing. The distortion will be the same.

At 5 feet... I would agree.

At 4 feet... probably

At 3 feet... I doubt it.

At 2 feet... I doubt it very much!

If I get really bored.. and can find a better test subject than what you used.. maybe I will shoot it.

The good news is you're practicing and exploring new things. When working with wigs and make-up artists, it is imperative you get it right before hoisting the camera. All of these shots are close and expose flaws. For instance, in #3 all flaws are exposed and there is no skin re-touching done. I think #4 is your best image with regards to lighting and composition. If you're only using your 18-55 lens, keep it at 55 and use your feet to zoom in and out. As for the DIY ringlight, the ring is way too small around the pupil. Make the ring larger and it will be less distracting.

The great thing, and this is what I remind myself all the time, is that this is fun. Have fun learning and improving. Take the critique and apply it to the next shoot. Ask the MUA who worked with you on this shoot to work again except this time, you create the make-up vision and practice explaining how you want it to look. I have a scrapbook album of faces with various make-up themes that I like and use it to convey the concept I want.

Fox.... I hope you don't mind... I did a little cleanup and skin softening.... what do you think?
$foxxxxweb.jpg
Your original for comparison
$ffffff.jpg

Last edited:
The good news is you're practicing and exploring new things. When working with wigs and make-up artists, it is imperative you get it right before hoisting the camera. All of these shots are close and expose flaws. For instance, in #3 all flaws are exposed and there is no skin re-touching done. I think #4 is your best image with regards to lighting and composition. If you're only using your 18-55 lens, keep it at 55 and use your feet to zoom in and out. As for the DIY ringlight, the ring is way too small around the pupil. Make the ring larger and it will be less distracting.

The great thing, and this is what I remind myself all the time, is that this is fun. Have fun learning and improving. Take the critique and apply it to the next shoot. Ask the MUA who worked with you on this shoot to work again except this time, you create the make-up vision and practice explaining how you want it to look. I have a scrapbook album of faces with various make-up themes that I like and use it to convey the concept I want.

Exactly!

Thanks for the encouragement :) I am constantly thanking myself for not making photography a career choice because I think I'd be jaded/stressed out of my mind by some of the critique I receive. The fact that I do this as a hobby means I can progress at my own pace and have fun with it. I take all the feedback I get in stride and do my best to apply it to everything I do going forwards, but I stay light with it to make sure I don't get burned out.

As for the FL I will be using my 28-135mm for the next session. The ring light came pre-fabricated so there's not much I can do about making it bigger. I'll try standing farther back from the model and see if that helps.

Fox.... I hope you don't mind... I did a little cleanup and skin softening.... what do you think?

I don't know...maybe fashion photography isn't for me. I don't like how much you softened her hair and how brushed her skin looks -- it doesn't feel real. I definitely need to clean up my originals but your edit seems too overboard for me.

Thanks for the encouragement :) I am constantly thanking myself for not making photography a career choice because I think I'd be jaded/stressed out of my mind by some of the critique I receive. The fact that I do this as a hobby means I can progress at my own pace and have fun with i. I take all the feedback I get in stride and do my best to apply it to everything I do going forwards, but I stay light with it to make sure I don't get burned out.

As for the FL I will be using my 28-135mm for the next session. The ring light came pre-fabricated so there's not much I can do about making it bigger. I'll try standing farther back from the model and see if that helps.

I don't know...maybe fashion photography isn't for me. I don't like how much you softened her hair and how brushed her skin looks -- it doesn't feel real. I definitely need to clean up my originals but your edit seems too overboard for me.

Checked out any fashion magazines lately? lol! You can still see pore structure / texture... I just got rid of all the bumps and zits, highlighted the eyes...

Foxx. No retouching done on this as the MUA working with me did this for her portfolio so I didn't want to manipulate her work. I asked for a clean look.

$Carla2.ws.jpg

ETA: I lied. I brought out her eyes and removed a zit. But the make-up is all original.

Checked out any fashion magazines lately? lol! You can still see pore structure / texture... I just got rid of all the bumps and zits, highlighted the eyes...

I know but I don't want to photograph for vogue :) It's just not my cup of tea.

Foxx. No retouching done on this as the MUA working with me did this for her portfolio so I didn't want to manipulate her work. I asked for a clean look.

View attachment 30189

ETA: I lied. I brought out her eyes and removed a zit. But the make-up is all original.

That's fantastic! I see my MUA has some work to do....

Nice! It can be done with a MUA, or it can be done it post! Usually a bit of both!

Tee... what do you think of my edit above?

Charlie- for me a little too soft along the jawline but a definite improvement. :thumbsup

I wanted to link to fashion/beauty photographer Stephen Eastwood's "famous" photo illustration of a model photographed with lenses from 350mm down to 17mm, all with the same HEIGHT of head in the frame, but shot from different distances, so that the features of the face were all subtly different. Unfortunately, his site seems to be "suspended" according to the web host's warning...

Stepheneastwood.com / Pinterest

It's pretty apparent that short focal lengths, used at close ranges, make the human face look "ungainly".

Most reactions

Back