Workflow Help Photomechanic > Lightroom

brian_f2.8

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone,

I need some help on workflow. First I shoot sports so after an event I ingest through photo mechanic, tag the photos I want to keep, apply the iptc info then edit in aperture, export and upload through ftp. Well aperture is a huge ram hog so Im trying out light room.

Besides the fact Im still learning light room, Id like to have the same work flow with a few changes. Id like to ingest through photo mechanic, tag the photos I want to keep, apply the iptc, SEND TO LIGHT ROOM TO EDIT(have the changes applied to the photos without exporting) then upload in photo mechanic.

Anyone have any experience with this? Last summer, I sat next to someone at a nascar race who did this. Having a hard time figuring out how this works. Its very similar to dynamic link.

Like on the box, it's all one word - Lightroom - and it's a proper noun.

Lightroom is optimized to work with Adobe software, and Lightroom used correctly is as much of a RAM hog as Aperture.

Photo Mechanic (by Camera Bits, INC) is a browser, while Lightroom is a database manage.
Why bother with Photo Mechanic at all.
The DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers

There are significant benefits to abandoning Photo Mechanic and doing your image ingestion, tagging, and IPTC fields completion with Lightroom.

Lightroom's most powerful engine is it's image database engine.
Lightroom's edit module, the Develop Module, is just 1 of 7 other modules Lightroom has. It seems your saying you intend to only use 1/7th of Lightroom's many capabilities.
Lightroom has some pretty nifty image ingestion templates for keywording, IPTC info, and other tasks.
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4 Book: The Complete Guide for Photographers

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I like photomechanic because of the code replacement and the stationary pad. Im sure there is a way in Lightroom to figure all this out as well. This style of work flow is new so Im figuring out the ins n outs. If its good enough for Scott Kelby then its good enough for anyone.

Photomechanic will allow me to sort n pick n choose the shots quickly. I wish they would add some simple presets to the ingest like Lightroom has. The auto tone is nice. I just downloaded Lightroom yesterday so Im still playing. I very well could use just Lightroom here on.

I love aperture, great software but its a ram hog and I do get kernel panics here n there. I did just buy 4 more gb of ram. Im playing with LR this week so Ill figure out something before 3/16 - ALMS Sebring baby!

LR loves memory, had some slowing problems with 4megs so I upgraded to 16 and no problems. I have used Aperture in the past but wanted to get away from Apple controlled products.

I agree, I really like apple software and hardware but knowing adobe helps incase I ever have to use a PC. So far LR is pretty cool.

Most reactions

Back