Workflow question - saving JPEGs

MarcusM

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I fairly recently started shooting almost exclusively in RAW.

I know you're not supposed to do PP on JPEGs and save them over and over again, so I'm wondering if my current process is correct as far as saving a JPEG the minimal amount of times?

1. I open the shot in the RAW application and make any adjustments.
2. I convert to a JPEG file.
3. I then open the JPEG in Photoshop and make any necessary adjustments there.
4. I then save the finalized JPEG again.

I'm wondering if I should maybe save the files I intend to work on further in Photoshop as TIFFs from the RAW application, and then after my PP work is finished, save the final as a JPEG?

Any tips/suggestions as to the proper flow with saving JPEGs the minimal amount of times to prevent unnecessary compression/data loss welcomed!

hmm strange
When you convert if you use the photoshop converter (just open the RAW in photoshop) you get the option to save hte file or to open it - open the file and it opens the RAW (converted) in photoshop allowing you to edit the shot.
After that if you are going to work on a shot further I would save it as a photoshop file - your not printing or looking at it till its done, so keep it in the photoshop format. Once edited how you like save it as a JPEG.

And before you ask - if you ever go back to a shot to edit best thing is to start again with the RAW (which is why you always keep the RAW of a shot - always! even if its on a backup disk/DVD)

The better workflow is to save in a lossless format like TIFF or PSD until your final output.

However, those files are huge compared to JPEGs. If you are only opening and saving them once or twice, JPEG would be OK. It's not perfect, but it's practical.

ugh, I would never edit in JPEG. convert to TIFF or PSD or something lossless if you're going to edit outside of lightroom. if you're end results needs to be JPEG, make that your final step after you're completely done editing

Agreed, my opinion and workflow is to never ever never use a destructive format until you have no choice.

Save as TIFF, PSD or anything else other than JPEG if you can until the end move.

Regards,
Peter Witham

Most reactions

New Topics

Back