Working for Bella Baby Photography?

Bella... run fast...run far...

Derrel- Why run?

Actually, up to 50% of people who get 1099'ed are misclassified according to the GAO. I'm a retired business owner and yes, it would have been a ton cheaper for me to employ everyone as contractors, but it wouldn't have been legal and just because it's been a long-running industry standard doesn't make it legal either. You're no longer a contractor when someone tells you when to somewhere, how long to be there, provides you with equipment (in this case laptops not cameras), makes you use their technology and protocol, trains you, and you are the backbone of their business then like it or not you're an employee and not a contractor. As a young artist I got so used to getting paid peanuts and not having benefits- thought it was just the way it is for artists. However, one little fall on a job that left me injured and unable to work for three months made me realize the benefit of having benefits and protections!

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. It's greatly appreciated.

actually, pretty much every industry uses sub-contractors. I cant speak for other countries, but its very common here in the US.

Yup. My industry (construction) is full of subs. Often it's a pain but for the most part it works out much better in terms of insurance, liability and profit.

"The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done. "

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-Defined

Dear Curious123; you should be paid enough to cover your taxes, medical insurance, overhead and profit. When you look up how much to send to the government, you may decide they aren't paying you enough.

Most reactions

Back