working on my DOF

JustAMom

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

please feel free to offer any c&c

Did you blur the background in PS?
You did well in using the fill-flash here (which I think you did, the photo is a bit tiny to really see).

no i have n idea how to blur in photoshop when i try it looks choppy. this is just the photograph. i use a nikon d40. nothing too fancy, its mostly for taking better then average pictures of my kids lol

Depth of field looks fine. Using a faster lens and/or a longer lens will really blur out that background though as it still looks a little busy.

to be honest....it looks like the child was pasted onto the background in this case...

blessed: i wouldnt even begin to know how to do that lol.
EOS- thanks, i just have a standard lens now, so that may be why im having a hard time with DOF

oh no. wasn't suggesting that's what you did. just saying it looks like that.
did u sharpen it a lot during PP? if you did..it mightve been a lil too much

this photo i didnt. i did learn how to use unsharp mask yeterday though but this pic i didnt do much editing too. oh, and i agree with you that it looks that way. actually though that is something I would like to learn how to do! is there a way I can tone it down?

THe reason he looks pasted is probably because of the use of flash. I don't think it looks bad though.

i'm a newbie so i'm in learning mode myself but...

hmm...maybe you can show a bit more in the foreground next time.
i'm thinking because you have your child up front and nothing else..... only the background which is far off...
it's like 2 distinct distances with nothing in between at all.

what i just wrote may be completely wrong but ah i dont know...hopefully someone more knowledgeable will comment soon.

yes i had my flash on. i asked my dh if i should turn it off and he said for right now when im outside its okay to use it, and he will teach me more when I start to get better. i think he is just to lazy to teach me anyhting lol

I guess it is the hairlight that separates him so clearly from the background, which is why I asked if the blurriness was created afterwards. But yes, photos against backgrounds like this one, where without the use of fill flash the boy's face would have come out way too dark, tend to get this very clear outlining ... which is enhanced by the fact that surrounding light reflects off his hair and seems to put a "pencil outline" around him.

Which is no critique at all. Just the attempt to find an explanation for the effect.

I like how you worked out DOF here!

Most reactions

Back