Working on seperation CC welcome

mgblunt

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I used a ND filter with a shoot through umbrella held by my wife off camera. This is my attempt to create separation from my subject and the background.
Nikon D3200
35mm prime lense
Variable ND filter
Flashpoint manual R2 flash
Marisa test.png

Looks a little underexposed to me, but the separation worked.. I'm curious, why the ND filter? Was it that bright? Maybe a reflector or HSS flash would have been better? I'm not a pro, and I'm sure they will give you better advice/suggestions than me.

It does seem strange using an ND filter along with flash.

Also, your light might have been positioned more to one side for better effect.

Also, too bad about the background.

Also, why not turn your camera to portrait orientation?

Looks a little underexposed to me, but the separation worked.. I'm curious, why the ND filter? Was it that bright? Maybe a reflector or HSS flash would have been better? I'm not a pro, and I'm sure they will give you better advice/suggestions than me.
I used the ND filter so I could shoot wide open since my camera doesn't have High speed sync. Yes it is a bit under exposed this is straight out of the camera.

Process your photo, then upload.

Separation is easy, since you shoot wide open. But the shot needs help compositionally.

I used the ND filter so I could shoot wide open since my camera doesn't have High speed sync. Yes it is a bit under exposed this is straight out of the camera.
Have you considered just using natural light to shoot wide open? If you don't have an assistant or a light stand, you can definitely use natural light to get this exact same lighting. Also, I like your light positioning; it shapes her features very nicely.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back