Working on well rounded lens combo for my kit... need some help.

Ok, just placed my order..
16-35 f4
70-200 f4
nikon 105 macro
(ND/CPL filters SD cards and other fun stuff)
Im going to hold on the prime (50 or 85) ill send out my 2 lenses and when I get the credit from amazon... then I will make my purchase, as long as I have come to a decision.

Nothing more fun than placing a big order!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yea... super excited :)

So.. I got one for all of you:
50mm 1.4 ART OR 85mm 1.4g? Was thinking of adding the new 58 1.4g to that debate.. but... im not all that impressed with that lens for the $.

85 1.8G. Save your money.. I haven't heard much to warrant the price difference between the 1.4 and the 1.8

I'd suggest waiting until the 16-35 and the 70-200 f/4 VR pair arrives, and using those two for a month or more, and seeing what it is you think you want or need. It's difficult to just recommend lenses to some guy whose shooting needs or habits we're not fully conversant with. Depends on what you want. Do you want a gigantic 50mm lens? Are you okay with that? Do you have much need for a 50mm prime? Do you have much need for an 85mm prime?

The 24-70mm f/2.8 will also be helpful at sorting out what you want/need/end up using, and how and when. Same with the 70-200 f/4.

I'd suggest waiting until the 16-35 and the 70-200 f/4 VR pair arrives, and using those two for a month or more, and seeing what it is you think you want or need. It's difficult to just recommend lenses to some guy whose shooting needs or habits we're not fully conversant with. Depends on what you want. Do you want a gigantic 50mm lens? Are you okay with that? Do you have much need for a 50mm prime? Do you have much need for an 85mm prime?

The 24-70mm f/2.8 will also be helpful at sorting out what you want/need/end up using, and how and when. Same with the 70-200 f/4.

Shortly after putting up that last post, I chatted with my bud here at work. I was thinking, I actually have a bunch of options. The obvious 50 art and the 85 f1.4g. Like D-B-J said I can get the 85 1.8g.. and also have some left over for possibly something else. I do like the appearance of a potrait with an 85, its growing on me. From all the reviews, I have been seeing A LOT of good about the 85f1.4g.
Im leaning to that because I do have my 24-70 f2.8, and I am used to using that around 50 @2.8. So that could possibly be why I do not use my current sigma 50 1.4. If im to get the 85, yes I have that focal range covered by the 70-200, but its at a max of f4... would give me reason to use the 85mm 1.4 or 1.8. So you are def right on with my 24-70 being helpfull at figuring this out.

So.... 85mm it is. Just need to figure... 1.8= $500 / 1.4 =$1600. So im paying for nano coat, 77mm thread, nicer defocus, 9 blades vs 7, and Sharper?

Take a look. Nikon 85mm comparison review | Cameralabs

The "nicer defocus" still resides with the 85mm f/1.4 AF-D, in my opinion. I kept mine, but added the 1.8 G for landscapes and clinical "sharpness". In terms of sharper images, the 1.8 G seems to be as good, or even better than the 1.4-G model.

But "sharpness" in an 85mm lens used for people work is vastly overrated; what's MORE important is the lens' drawing style and its rendering characteristics; that's one reason lenses like the 85mm f/1.4 AF-D and the 105 AF-D D.C., and the original 70-200 VR, and the 200mm f/2 VR-G are still highly sought after for "people" work. Again "sharpness" is only one quality; you'd probably find that the 105 VR-G Micro~Nikkor has a super-saturated, hyperrealistic type of color saturation and rendering style that looks almost clownish on people work. Same with the new 60mm G.

"Sharpness" is nowhere near the most important quality in a lens for portraiture and people pictures. You want a lens that "shoots good pictures" for the kinds of things you use that lens for.

Thank you, I REALLY appriciate all your input. Im sold on the 85 1.8g... just need that amazon credit to hit my account. I sent my 2 sigma lenses out today. Hopefully by wednesday I can place the order on the 85. and still have some $ left over.

I know I did not explain in detail what I like to shoot, because I dont have a "direct focus"... I shoot what seems interesting to me. (not to mention the MANY pics of my son) I like landscape, wild life... a little of everything really.

Because my other thread was moved to an area on the forums with really low activity, can anyone make any recommendations for anything I would want on a potential once in a lifetime trip to Hawaii?
I already ordered decent CPL and ND filters, sensor cleaning kit, 64gb x2 sd cards, Black Rapid RS-5, and some other little things.

Ok, all my stuff has come in:
16-35 f4g
70-200 f4g
85 f1.8g
105 f2.8g macro
77mm B+W 3 stop ND filter, CPL (with nano coat) and UV filter also with nano coat (uv only to be used for possible water spray on the lens)
67mm-77mm step up ring for the 70-200mm
black rapid RS-5
Lexar 600x 64gb x2
rain sleeve x2
nikon wired release cord
manfroto swivel umbrella adapter
SMDV DIFF60 softbox
sensor cleaning kit and some other little things.

Working 2 weeks straight, have not had much time to use the lenses all too much. I will have my first day off in 17 days on wednesday. Im looking to spend a good ammount of time with all the new glass. Want to make sure im happy with all of them. ill take pics one day soon of all the gear. honestly, the 70-200 f4 is WAY smaller then I was expecting. But, its a good thing, nice and light :)
Quite happy with the constuction/ build of all the lenses, even the 85 1.8 too.
again, thank you for the input all of you have given me. Im sure I will be happy with the lenses.

-Andre

Ok, all my stuff has come in:
16-35 f4g
70-200 f4g
85 f1.8g
105 f2.8g macro
77mm B+W 3 stop ND filter, CPL (with nano coat) and UV filter also with nano coat (uv only to be used for possible water spray on the lens)
67mm-77mm step up ring for the 70-200mm
black rapid RS-5
Lexar 600x 64gb x2
rain sleeve x2
nikon wired release cord
manfroto swivel umbrella adapter
SMDV DIFF60 softbox
sensor cleaning kit and some other little things.

Working 2 weeks straight, have not had much time to use the lenses all too much. I will have my first day off in 17 days on wednesday. Im looking to spend a good ammount of time with all the new glass. Want to make sure im happy with all of them. ill take pics one day soon of all the gear. honestly, the 70-200 f4 is WAY smaller then I was expecting. But, its a good thing, nice and light :)
Quite happy with the constuction/ build of all the lenses, even the 85 1.8 too.
again, thank you for the input all of you have given me. Im sure I will be happy with the lenses.

-Andre

Wow, what a nice box of gear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First day off in a long time, got some pics to toss up (from iPhone)
Fun fun :)

Attachments

• $image-2131998038.jpg
    $image-2131998038.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 192
  • $image-4291737453.jpg
    $image-4291737453.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 160
  • $image-2032186510.jpg
    $image-2032186510.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 157
Was able to mess around with the 70-200 f4 and the softbox, need more practice. But love the lens, really sharp.

Attachments

• $image-2334687439.jpg
    $image-2334687439.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 176
Got a nice shot today with the 85 1.8g. Wanted to see how easy/ hard it would be to work it @1.8 ... not all too bad. Makes my old sigma 50 1.4 seem like doodoo. Still takes some work, but manageable.
Please let me know what you think. I would like some honest feedback.
Thank you.

-Andre

Attachments

• $photo 2.JPG
    $photo 2.JPG
    308.2 KB · Views: 168
  • $e3a5h.JPG
    $e3a5h.JPG
    196 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:
Dude!!!!!!! I'm just drooling over the box of goodies pics!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone got anything?

Cute kid! The 70-200mm f/4 is gonna be a great lens for family shots of the boy! On the 85mm shot if him at the window...I'm not a fan of f/1.8 at close distance....I get that people like it, but the one eye in focus, other eye out of focus draws soooo much attention to "the gear" and "the technique" that, in this case, I think it spoils the actual reality of the scene; the f/1.8 aperture's ultra-shallow DOF minimizes the reality of the scene, which to me, is what family photography of this type is really about, for the most part.

Contrast the window shot at f/1.8 at close range with the shot of him sitting, and the bubbles, and just a little bit more in-focus area. Not a lot more in-focus, but just a bit more. I am just simply not a fan of close-range portraits shot wide-open with telephoto lenses on this kind of candid, family work. The difference in the window shot between f/1.8 and f/3.5 would have been huge.

Anyway though, kind of nifty kit you've assembled--all Nikkors of the same vintage and body style!

Another thing to comment on: NOW you have a modern Nikon that can use AUTO ISO, and can run up to the 2,500 ISO range with impunity in these types of well-lighted, candid situations where there actually is "some light", so I would consider using f/4 at 1/160 second as a new starting point for a week, and see what you think, allowing the AUTO ISO to go up or down as needed, which giving a safe shutter speed and shallow, but not too shallow a DOF.

Anyone got anything?

Cute kid! The 70-200mm f/4 is gonna be a great lens for family shots of the boy! On the 85mm shot if him at the window...I'm not a fan of f/1.8 at close distance....I get that people like it, but the one eye in focus, other eye out of focus draws soooo much attention to "the gear" and "the technique" that, in this case, I think it spoils the actual reality of the scene; the f/1.8 aperture's ultra-shallow DOF minimizes the reality of the scene, which to me, is what family photography of this type is really about, for the most part.

Contrast the window shot at f/1.8 at close range with the shot of him sitting, and the bubbles, and just a little bit more in-focus area. Not a lot more in-focus, but just a bit more. I am just simply not a fan of close-range portraits shot wide-open with telephoto lenses on this kind of candid, family work. The difference in the window shot between f/1.8 and f/3.5 would have been huge.

Anyway though, kind of nifty kit you've assembled--all Nikkors of the same vintage and body style!

Another thing to comment on: NOW you have a modern Nikon that can use AUTO ISO, and can run up to the 2,500 ISO range with impunity in these types of well-lighted, candid situations where there actually is "some light", so I would consider using f/4 at 1/160 second as a new starting point for a week, and see what you think, allowing the AUTO ISO to go up or down as needed, which giving a safe shutter speed and shallow, but not too shallow a DOF.

Thanks for the comment on my son :)
I think I understand what you are getting at by saying "reality of the scene" when I shoot wide open like that (1.8), I’m trying to get a "dreamy" look. (If that’s the right way to describe it?) Moments before that I used the 70-200 @f4 and got the shot below. More DOF, And I like it too... Just a different style of image. But it does look more realistic.

Thank you. This kit is exactly what I was looking to achieve, A nice well rounded setup. WORLD of a difference from the A77 setup I had. I have been using auto iso... I have it max out at 3200 right now, only because in comparison to the A77... still looks amazing. I will try @ 1/160 and f4, see what I get. I will update. May be a little while, more work to come.
I have already been researching my next lens, and I’m thinking 35mm 1.4g. It won’t be for a while (Still have another 2 work weeks straight to pay for the ones I just got) But I think that’s the only focal length I see myself wanting/ needing.

Thank you for the honest feedback, I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• $photo 1.JPG
    $photo 1.JPG
    366.9 KB · Views: 158

Most reactions

Back