Working with RAW images - the basics

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by PJcam, Jan 22, 2018.

1. PJcam

PJcam No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Although I knew Raw was another file format, until I got my camera last month I didn't know what Raw format was, I only ever really using the most common file formats, psd, jpg, gif, tiff and png.

2. OldCam

OldCam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would recommend installing Darktable. It does a better job than RT in my opinion. I have tested them and while opening a file in RT i noticed it adds noise to a picture. Next to that i couldn't cope with the way it crops. And sometimes the sliders react in reverse. It wont give you a result of the area to crop. Although i am not affiliated in any way with these programs, i decided to use Darktable and the results are way better. After exporting the pictures i sometimes open them in Gimp to tune a little with unsharp mask (which is very well explained on the cambridgeincolor site). Darktable also has a lot of things that are like the things you see in Adobe products, like rightklick on a slider and set it in another way or scrolling the mouse-wheel over an arrow adjusts also the setting finer in steps. It takes a little learning just like RT, and eventually you'll notice the difference in a positive way, i hope.

3. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I like DarkTable also, but your characterization of RT is incorrect and there are concerns with DarkTable. The OP may (likely) be using a Windows system. DarkTable only a few months ago became available for Windows systems and it's fair to say they're (he) is still attending to some rough edges getting it fully functional. Overall it is a more capable raw converter than RT, but it is also more complex.

RT does not add noise to a photo and the sliders do not sometimes react in reverse. And it's crop function works just fine. As for you're experience getting better results from DarkTable, I doubt that's because of real differences in the performance of the two programs.

Joe

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. OldCam

OldCam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On Ubuntu it's doing that in my case, nevertheless thank you Joe for your answer. I'm glad people like you have their own opinion. I'm not using windows so i cannot say how the software behaves on it, i've read they started to fork to windows in alpha versions lately.

I tried to help according to my own findings, searches en tests which not make the characterization incorrect, maybe a bit one-(linux)-sided.

5. Ysarex

Ysarex Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I use Linux as well. In fact I've maintained a Linux distribution for years for the primary purpose of having access to DarkTable. I keep RT up to date on that same Linux distro and it does not add noise nor do the sliders sometimes react in reverse and the crop function works fine.

DarkTable is good software. But the OP is completely new to raw file processing and decided to start out using RT. RT is an excellent choice and since the OP is new to this it's probably best to allow him to settle in and become comfortable with the software he started with before sending him off chasing after something else especially based on an inaccurate assessment of the software he selected.

Joe

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. OldCam

OldCam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

_DSC0064.resized.jpg Ok Joe, i'll rest my case. You are right! I used it a while ago, now i installed it again and it is a lot better. As you see in this picture. So much better that i get to like it more than DT. Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018