Working with "raw" photos...?

stilite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello -- was hoping someone could help me with a few questions related to working with raw captures.

I just returned from a great trip to Europe and decided that this time I would set my Sony NEX to capture photos only in the "raw" setting. I did this because I have heard and read prior that by shooting in a pure "raw" format, then you have full control to adjust photos afterward versus shooting in jpeg format.

Now that I have have returned from my trip, I pulled up my images in my computer viewer (infranview) and I notice that the thumbnails states that the photos are indeed the "larger" size of 4608x3072. However, when I click to view the image, my viewer is only showing me a size of 1902x1080 at 2.07 megapixels. However, the file size still shows the image as 14.752 mb.

My questions is: How can I open and properly edit these photos in their full size? Should I then save it as a jpeg or re-save it as raw or?

they require a raw translator like Adobe Camera Raw that comes with Lightroom or Photoshop or third party software like Raw Therapee
Your viewer is probably just unpacking and showing the jpeg embedded in every raw file.

You will need a program which reads the Sony raw file format, such as Adobe's Lightroom, Photoshop ACR, etc. If you do a search on-line you should find a number of options including some freeware.

What about the software that comes with the camera?

thanks for your quick replies. I suppose I underestimated the amount of time it will now take to mass edit my 1,400+ captures.

Once manipulated, do you recommend I save in jpeg for file size ease of use? I've read that editing and saving images causes loss of the original image on each save/step. Will my raw images always remain intact?

Depends on the software you use.

Raw processing is normally non-destructive editing, so your original files should stay "cherry". One thing you will need to do is develop a work-flow to help you efficiently process your images. Mine goes something like this: Back up files and then import to lightroom. Adjust/correct: White balance, exposure, any selective corrections, colour cast, etc. Export as .tif (or .dng) and then open in Photoshop for any work that couldn't be done in LR such as use of layer masks, cloning, complex selections, etc. Once that's all done, I save the final image as a full-resolution .jpg. JPG is what's known as a 'lossy' format, so each time you re-edit a .jpg file, you will lose some data. Files such as .tif, .dng, etc are not.

My digital camera is DNG so it automatically produces a Raw image and a JPEG from that. If I use the Windows viewer that's on the computer I can only see the JPEGs; I have to go into Photoshop to see the Raw images.

So it sounds like you'll need something other than what you have on your computer to view them, which might be worth it in the long run. You probably will need to develop a process something like John did because obviously taking a lot of photos on a trip will be a lot of pictures to go through.

I save my original Raw images. I find it easy enough to make copies but don't want to lose my original photos; I don't know if later I may want to do a submission and need a specific size to submit, etc.

Every photographer develops a workflow that's most comfortable for them and their circumstances at the time. Since I'm mostly retired my workflow has changed significantly.
I shoot in raw, then go through using Adobe Bridge and delete any that I don't want to keep. Then I'll use Bridge to make copies to a named folder and rename the keepers as they are copied . That's the "originals" and gets backed up. I feed those into Photoshop, which automatically calls up Adobe Camera Raw. Usually I do what I can in ACR and then send them on to PS.
I can make jpg copies in Batch with PS or generate small copies or HDR with ACR or.........

Before you start all sorts of stuff, you need to have a clear idea of how to manage and edit the files.
Before anything, back up all your files and keep a working version.
What software do you have to edit with?
Are the files in one big folder on your computer?
Once we know what you are working with, we can give better advice on how to edit your images safely.

Most reactions

Back