workshops, classes, online NYIP

Melissa0927

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Have any of you taken courses in photography ?

I am VERY NEW to photography and am looking for some additional training ....

Has anyone ever taken any formal training courses ? Trying to decide on taking a course at my community college, an online course such as one at New York Institute of Photography, or just enrolling in a workshop as I see them.

I am concerned that I am to new for the workshop route though.

The community college route is a basic course that teaches a little of everything.

The NYIP is an in depth online program that teacches everything - just wondering if it is difficut to learn in this manner. Has anyone taken ourses through NYIP

Thanks in advance

I sent for the NYIP packet a few months ago, to see what the prices were and what they were offering...when I did not enroll, after about 4 months, I got a series of a few offers for very deeply discounted enrollment...I suspect that is SOP for NYIP.

I studied photography at the high school and university levels in the fields of fine art, science, and journalism, as well as was trained by a photography studio trainer in studio and family portraiture. I have read hundreds of photography magazines, and many,many books spanning the decades of the 1960's,1970's,and 1980's, but not so much the newer magazines or books. There is a lot of knowledge about photography "out there"; I think in today's digital world, it might be a good idea to get some training from some type of institution that specializes in teaching people about photography.

Much of the underlying nuts and bolts of photography dates to pre-digital days,and IMHO, the older more experienced book authors were more about getting things "right" in-camera, and less about ways to take average material and finesse it into "good material". Today I see lots of shortcut methods and post-production creations that are, underneath,often very poor building blocks that have been worked,massaged,and finessed into stuff that's well,not all that great.

Hi Melissa,

It's been a very long time since I took a photo course, but I've spent the last 30 years teaching photography at the college level. I pioneered the adoption of online photo classes here in the St. Louis area. Last year I retired but continue to teach part-time. I actually begin the new semester this afternoon with a class in digital photography on-campus.

I'm in the process of revising the online course materials that I've used in the past couple of years; you're welcome to take a look at them and if you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them for you: http://photojoes.org/art172/index.html (this is a first semester, start from scratch class).

(edit) I should have said, my recommendation would be to take a class in person -- much better than the online stuff.

Take Care,
Joe

Last edited:
I sent for the NYIP packet a few months ago, to see what the prices were and what they were offering...when I did not enroll, after about 4 months, I got a series of a few offers for very deeply discounted enrollment...I suspect that is SOP for NYIP.

Very interesting, thanks for that tidbit Derrel. I sent for the packet a few weeks ago, and am currently debating back and forth with the Mrs. whether to take the class or not. She thinks I should take it, I'm thinking I should just buy more books and keep self-teaching. If they send me a deep discount offer like they did you, I just may jump on it.

Thanks so much for the info.... I think I might take the class in person....a nd if I eventually get a great deal maybe do NYIP after the in person class.

Locally we have a group that offers different photography classes usually once a week for about 5 weeks or so but recently they offered the basic photography class in a weekend workshop...I took that and I LOVED it. I'm dying to take more classes if I can come up with the money.

Be careful when shelling out money to online courses. I looked into an online course back in March that was $1200 for twelve months. Just got an email that the cost was down to $599 if I started this month. Each month or so they dropped the cost about $100.

I do not know if anyone has linked to Joe's link in regards to his class.
I did. And, I really like his presentation of the material, let alone his knowledge.
Very nice Joe, thank you for the link.

I have been reading away at Joe's link - I wish I could take his class -lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back