Worried About Watermark - Advice?

cloud9imagery

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.cloud9imagery.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Lately, I have seen these amazing watermarks and I am now worried about my own watermark's style and overall appearance. I want a professional yet whimsical look, yet I may not be there yet. What do you think? Any suggestions other than I read earlier about lowering the opacity. Thanks.

$WM_CorrectedIMG_0638.jpg

Drop the bevel/emboss, change the mark color to white, and raise the cloud up to accent the text, not wrap around it. Over all you have done a good job on this. It's very simple, gets the message across, and doesn't distract.

If you have any questions as to what makes a good watermark/logo, see the following thread:

Watermarks should be subtle. However, they shouldn't be "plain," which many users here are implying. Artists work is very different from photography work. Artists simply use a very indistinguishable script integrated into the piece because the style of their work identifies themselves enough that they don't need exclusive identification.

In other words, when you see a piece by van gogh, you know it's van gogh without having to ask any questions as to who painted it. Photography is a little bit different. You can't tell who took a photograph unless there is some way to identify the photographer. Some people do this through Exif, I choose to do it though a watermark or "logo."

Not only do I use a watermark, it's simple, and easy to look at... along with well presented and easy to read. O Hey Tyler's watermark and logo is like this also. There is nothing wrong or cheesy in doing this. It is the single most important marketing tool you have. You need something that identifies you, that sticks in a viewers head and will make them remember you the next time they need photos.

I chose an expensive route for my watermark. The font in my "watermark/logo" is a $600.00+ font package, depending on where you get it from. However, I can say that there aren't many other people out there who have their logo in that font. It exclusively identifies me and my work, when it is seen. Where as, a million photographers use Edwardian Script and Scriptina as their watermark font thinking that they are setting themselves apart from others, and really they blend in worse than someone who uses Times or Arial.

Drop the bevel/emboss, change the mark color to white, and raise the cloud up to accent the text, not wrap around it. Over all you have done a good job on this. It's very simple, gets the message across, and doesn't distract.

Ok, what do you think, now?

$TEST4Watermark.jpg

View attachment 17211

I like it. Now you simply need to play with your personal sizing preference. I, personally, would size it down about 1/3rd or so. However, that's just my personal preference. I actually like that watermark, though. I have a couple of ideas in my head I could play with later tonight or tomorrow morning if you'd be open to seeing them. If you want it, cool. If you don't, not hard feelings. Either way, if I create you something you want, it would imply that you just got $500.00 worth of graphic design work for free :)

I'm not a fan of watermarks but there are two members on here who do it right, in my opinion: camz and rub. Check out how they place them and the style. I think you'll find what theirs look like is what you're trying to accomplish. Might not hurt shooting them a PM and asking.

View attachment 17211

I like it. Now you simply need to play with your personal sizing preference. I, personally, would size it down about 1/3rd or so. However, that's just my personal preference. I actually like that watermark, though. I have a couple of ideas in my head I could play with later tonight or tomorrow morning if you'd be open to seeing them. If you want it, cool. If you don't, not hard feelings. Either way, if I create you something you want, it would imply that you just got $500.00 worth of graphic design work for free :)

Feel free to play away and I will see if you can impress me! ;) (jk)

I don't think you are there yet either, so let me put it this way: "Lately, I have seen these amazing portraits and I am now worried about my own snapshot's style and overall appearance. I want a professional yet whimsical look, yet I may not be there yet. What do you think?" If this line was directed towards you, your response would most likely be "hire me, I'm a professional and have the know-how to deliver a superior product." The same can be said for your request for suggestions for graphic design help. The design/branding of your business should be very important to you and worth calling in a professional.

I don't think you are there yet either, so let me put it this way: "Lately, I have seen these amazing portraits and I am now worried about my own snapshot's style and overall appearance. I want a professional yet whimsical look, yet I may not be there yet. What do you think?" If this line was directed towards you, your response would most likely be "hire me, I'm a professional and have the know-how to deliver a superior product." The same can be said for your request for suggestions for graphic design help. The design/branding of your business should be very important to you and worth calling in a professional.

That would be really nice, but unfortunately, I am not at financial place to do so as of yet. That is why I am doing it myself. :) Once I get to that point, then of course, I will purchase the luxuries I can afford.

I like the white, now just reduce opacity a bit.
A watermark is really not worth worrying over all that much. You'll get to that point down the line.

texkam said:
The design/branding of your business should be very important to you and worth calling in a professional.

It seems to me that her focused clientele is children. Let me open this by saying that I am a professional graphic designer (or was up until a year ago) of 8 years.

The design that she made is very primitive, yes. However, after looking at her targeted clientele, it fits perfectly.

Here is what I got as a quick solution. This is definitely a sleeker look. However, for the targeted clientele... I kind of like yours better.

$Untitled-2.jpg

Here is what I got as a quick solution. This is definitely a sleeker look. However, for the targeted clientele... I kind of like yours better.

View attachment 17250

Personally I think that one is really, really, awesome. Nice work.
And I actually think it works as a more playful watermark too, because it also looks like a flower.

View attachment 17250

Personally I think that one is really, really, awesome. Nice work.
And I actually think it works as a more playful watermark too, because it also looks like a flower.

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!!!

Flower 9! I like that! Or is it blossom 9? The original cloud had no bottom to it...a cartoon cloud usually is an enclosed shape...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back